If your Gay will this kill your chances in interveiws?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biorenaissance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 21 gay and love dentistry. I know most gay people go to med-school because they seem to be a little more accepting of our type but I really really like dentistry. I am not your typical flammer normally when I hang out with girls all the other dudes think that we date so its not very obvious until I laugh or get excited about something then I become animated. Should I hide these tendencies during interviews. Also how hard will it be in dental school I mean is it alot of conservatives? I would love to go to a school like UNC or ECU when it opens.

Members don't see this ad.

no there are a few gay people in my class, openly and obviously

Are you kidding me? No, adcoms should not and would not discriminate against you because of your sexuality...its not like they ask about it on your application anyway, so how would they know unless you bring it up? This is a bit of a ridiculous question, sorry...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just close this thread.

But to answer the question because people might actually have this question.
Wont hurt your chances, nobody cares.

Applying in the South, it might be a problem. I know it should not be but it could hurt your chances without you knowing.

Simply, I would not go in there and say you were gay. Dont flame on!

Act, white and conservative and proper. Once, you are in then be yourself.

It may actually help you:

"The College of Dental Medicine seeks a diverse student body reflecting not only the many faces of the patients who will be treated by the graduates of the college, but also for the creation of a diverse body of thought and interest within this community of scholars. Our definition of diversity includes race/ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, and more, but is certainly not limited to those considerations. "

http://dental.columbia.edu/education/admin_req.htm

They do not ask you for your sexual orientations on the supplemental apps and I'm rather sure they will not ask you at your interview. But just in case, no "flame on" :biglove: and avoid conservative/religious schools. You should be fine. Good luck!

I know most gay people go to med-school because they seem to be a little more accepting of our type.

You will be surprised, medical schools tend to be very conservative.

Your sexual orientation should not interfere with your interview as long as you don't let it define you as a person during the interview.

Cool thanks for all the input. I know they can't ask you on the application I just didn't know how judgmental they are in the actual interview. I mean some threads on here talk about how you should cut you hair..... So I figured they judge you in every aspect of life.

Cool thanks for all the input. I know they can't ask you on the application I just didn't know how judgmental they are in the actual interview. I mean some threads on here talk about how you should cut you hair..... So I figured they judge you in every aspect of life.

Unless you're hitting on the male interviewer, it won't be a problem. Don't even bring it up.

I would like to say that your sexual orientation will not affect your chances of being accepted to a dental program, but realistically it could have an impact. A lot of the faculty that interview are old white men (alot with a military backgroud), with old white men values. That being said, I think that you will be fine at your interview, just don't make it a point to reveal your sexuality to any of your interviewers. Best of luck.

Being gay wont impede you from becoming a good dentist... All I can say is be yourself, hopefully the interviewers are not that ignorant to deny someone acceptance b/c of their sexual preference.

just cut down some of the feminine trait that you might have

They don't care about your sexuality. Public schools are prohibited from discrimination of any sort, and virtually all private institutions have sort of non-discriminatory policy. The only time I've ever seen otherwise dealt with religious schools for obvious reasons. This was Loyola University at Chicago, not LLU; and I have no clue what LLU's policy is on the matter.

Yet another example of a minority being its own worst enemy.

The chances of you getting that unfair Board question wrong because it presupposes a rare variant which you decided not to consider, are similar to the chances that you'll injure a patient because they have some rare anatomic of physiologic variant...

The chances of you doing bad on an exam because you were sleep deprived and had a family emergency are similar to the chances that you'll injure a patient because you were sleep deprived and had a family emergency

The chances of you being looked down upon at an interview are similar to the chances that a patient will get up and walk out on you from an office visit, and tell the whole town not to go to you.

This is life.

"Don't ask, don't tell" applies here much in the same way as it does in the armed forces.

Lol no I believe the policy is don't ask, we investigate, don't tell.......

this whole topic is stupid. be yourself. i'm not sure how it would come up in your interview but i kinda think its insulting to admin committees and gays alike to suggest it would affect your admissions. im not saying that you dont face bigots all the time, but the adcoms that i know personally, are the highest caliber of professional and would never hold that against you.

:thumbup:yeah.. that's much more accurate:laugh:

Right because the admission committee is out to get you, and is SOOOOOO interested in what happens in your bedroom. Because THAT is fascinating.

Right because the admission committee is out to get you, and is SOOOOOO interested in what happens in your bedroom. Because THAT is fascinating.
I was not implying the adcoms will investigate my sexuality. "Don't ask, don't tell" is a US military policy and that is what I was commenting on as it was referenced in a prior comment. I was just wondering if the adcoms at the interviews were all like really cool geeky science professors (the ones that I like) or if they were judgmental conservatives. Which said question has been answered. :D

K

Well carry on then.

Ill return when I sense the tendency of minorities to being their own worst enemy.

Thats about the extent of my activism.

As you were.