If You're Not Going, Then Get Out!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dulop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder that those who are accepted at a school they aren't planning on attending to please withdraw their names from the acceptance pools. As someone waitlisted at their top choice (PPL WITH VANDY ACCEPTANCES NOT MATRICULATING...HELP A BROTHER OUT) I, and my waitlisted brethren, would truly appreciate it. Good luck all.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm writing three withdrawl letters right now, one of which is Vanderbilt. I really hope they give it to you :) Best of luck!

i dropped an acceptance yesterday, but i'm just curious, do we know if that actually moves any waitlists this early? or do they just wait til mid may when more people have dropped and fill all the spaces at once?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll drop all but one acceptance as soon as I get some sense - any sense - of the need-based financial aid that these schools have... I honestly think that's a limiting factor for a lot of people who want to do the right thing and drop extra acceptances.

Centinel said:
I'll drop all but one acceptance as soon as I get some sense - any sense - of the need-based financial aid that these schools have... I honestly think that's a limiting factor for a lot of people who want to do the right thing and drop extra acceptances.
Yes, alot of people do need to wait until they know fully what the financial aide packages will bring. It is not unusual for people to hold multiple acceptances until that consideration is addressed.
As far as people withdrawing now and the waitlist moving---that depends on each individual school. Some schools have accepted more students that they have room for and wait until the actual matriculation level is reached before adding waitlisters while other schools will notify students that they have been accepted as soon as some students drop their acceptances. Good luck to all :luck:

I'm holding two acceptances thus far...I got accepted to my #1 choice...I am just waiting to make sure that I get financial aid AND that all of the paperwork/etc. crap actually gets processed and I am "accepted" officially ::neurotic::<---but my brother got rejected from his #1 school because his check got lost in the mail (but he explained the situation and got "re-accepted")

so I don't want that to happen

*I recommend just "wait" until may 15th...there will be crazy movement going on...trust me

goodluck

jbrice1639 said:
i dropped an acceptance yesterday, but i'm just curious, do we know if that actually moves any waitlists this early? or do they just wait til mid may when more people have dropped and fill all the spaces at once?

Depends on the school. Vandy, since it's being discussed, said they won't touch the WL til may 15th.

most of the schools i applied to also don't touch waitlists until may 15. so for me, even if someone drops their spot today, i still won't be able to go to their second look weekends, which is all i really care about.

ND2005 said:
Depends on the school. Vandy, since it's being discussed, said they won't touch the WL til may 15th.

yes, but they meet before that to look at the status of ppl on the WL, so the more ppl that decline their acceptances/wl spots, the better for those who want to go there, esp given that they wl so many ppl.

so i second what the op said, ppl with acceptances to vandy who know they are not matriculating, please withdraw!!

you know, it's too bad that when withdrawing, you can't make a suggestion as to who you would take off the wait list.....like if networking & say somebody you know super well puts you in contact w/ a good buddy of theirs from the "old days" to get you a job....keep it in the "family" so to speak

Does any one know if Pitt will wait until May 15th to accept people from the waitlist or will they accept as people withdraw?

PariPari said:
you know, it's too bad that when withdrawing, you can't make a suggestion as to who you would take off the wait list.....like if networking & say somebody you know super well puts you in contact w/ a good buddy of theirs from the "old days" to get you a job....keep it in the "family" so to speak

You know what? I am so glad this doesn't happen. There is a reason why "keeping it in the family" leads to places like West Virginia. :smuggrin:

By previous years threads, Columbia has done some waitlist accepting before 5/15, so drop those P&S spots if you're not going.

Damn I've got to quit this stuff. SDN is like crack when you're waiting for stuff. MCAT scores, interviews, decisions, waitlists, blah blah blah. Crack, I tell you. I did good for a few weeks, but when it sucks you back in...

dbhvt said:
Damn I've got to quit this stuff. SDN is like crack when you're waiting for stuff. MCAT scores, interviews, decisions, waitlists, blah blah blah. Crack, I tell you. I did good for a few weeks, but when it sucks you back in...

Ditto. When I was accepted and I let people at work know (specifically my boss) they decided not to give me any new long term studies since I won't be here to see them through. Consequently my personal workload has diminished quite a bit. There's a whole list of "things to do with downtime" that our department needs to accomplish this year, but they are mostly craptastic tasks that no one wants. So I'm browsing SDN all day in my office.

SDN? Craptastic work? SDN? Craptastic work?

Hmmm - the crack addiction wins.

I aplogize to all who are waiting on my withdrawal. But instead of asking me to withdraw, we need to harass the schools to get their financial aid package out! I met their deadlines promptly with the FAFSA information. It's a simple formula for the school. What is taking them so long??? I check daily but without luck.

Wouldn't be an issue if you got in to begin with, would it now? Stop bitching and wait your turn.

dulop said:
Just a friendly reminder that those who are accepted at a school they aren't planning on attending to please withdraw their names from the acceptance pools. As someone waitlisted at their top choice (PPL WITH VANDY ACCEPTANCES NOT MATRICULATING...HELP A BROTHER OUT) I, and my waitlisted brethren, would truly appreciate it. Good luck all.

PostalWookie said:
Wouldn't be an issue if you got in to begin with, would it now? Stop bitching and wait your turn.

I understand where the OP is coming from...
if there is a school that you know that no financial aid package is really going to change your mind about going there....then please withdraw...
I've withdrawn from a few schools...hoping the karma comes around :)

I'm just saying that some people work really hard so that they have options when March rolls around, whether they're basing their decisions on financial aid or another factor. For most people, it's not a clear, easy decision. I know that you people on waitlists right now are stressing, but the bottom line is that you have no right to pressure anyone. With that said, good luck to everyone who is on a waitlist, I hope you get your top choice.