IFN-gamma for chronic granulomatous dz, mech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So FA explains that INF gamma from Th1 activates macrophage which secretes TNF-alpha which creates granuloma and maintain granuloma.

Then in the immunology section of FA, it says the clinical use for INF gamma is chronic granulomatous dz?

How come? Shouldn't you be using anti-INF gamma for chronic granulomatous dz?

Many thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a disorder of destroying pathogens via the respiratory burst pathways, they it makes sense to promote formation of granuloma ('walling off pathogens').

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

So FA explains that INF gamma from Th1 activates macrophage which secretes TNF-alpha which creates granuloma and maintain granuloma.

Then in the immunology section of FA, it says the clinical use for INF gamma is chronic granulomatous dz?

How come? Shouldn't you be using anti-INF gamma for chronic granulomatous dz?

Many thanks in advance.

IFNy enhances phagolysosome formation and oxidative burst that macrophages use for intracellular killing of phagocytosed pathogens. More IFNy = more oxidative burst = more killing

@sidefx I don't think that macrophages have the NADPHox/MPO system , IFN-g promotes O2-independent killing via some weird mechanism ( probably JAK-STAT induced increased proteases/lipases/dnases etc… ) , also it induces TNF-a production that maintains granulomas as @masaraksh said..

Members don't see this ad :)
@sidefx I don't think that macrophages have the NADPHox/MPO system , IFN-g promotes O2-independent killing via some weird mechanism ( probably JAK-STAT induced increased proteases/lipases/dnases etc… ) , also it induces TNF-a production that maintains granulomas as @masaraksh said..

Neutrophils and macrophages both kill phagocytosed pathogens via oxidative burst

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respiratory_burst

Also page 208 of 2015 first aid

Probably , I just remember Goljan saying it in his audio , maybe it was just outdated info.. For the record in FA its written like that ''Phagocytes ( e.g. Monocytes , Neutrophils )

Edit: He probably meant MPO system and I miss annotated… NADPHox is present in all the phagocytes but MPO present only in monocytes/neutrophils, macrophages lose it when they mature..

Last edited: