IHS contractor pharmacist $50/hr offer

Started by dfa124
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dfa124

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
*****Thank you all of you for your advices. I really appreciate it!


Hi guys,

I received an offer for IHS contractor pharmacist position for $50/hr including medical/dental insurance, PTO (40hr), liability insurance, and worker's comp. The contract is 1 yr long. I have 3+ of experience and currently unemployed. Would like to know if this is a decent offer. TIA
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I received an offer for IHS contractor pharmacist position for $50/hr including medical/dental insurance, PTO (40hr), liability insurance, and worker's comp. The contract is 1 yr long. I have 3+ of experience and currently unemployed. Would like to know if this is a decent offer. TIA

Updates: I have just spoken to the staffing agency and was told that they can offer $56/hr without any insurance (if with insurance, effective after 3 months of hire date). Also, was informed that no housing would be provided. I negotiated to have them pay half of the housing cost to this point.

My experience with contractors leads me to believe you and the contractor are probably splitting the payment the ihs paid the contractor 50-50. Ihs probably pays the contractor $100 an hour and passes 50 to you. In the past, contractor jobs would offer significantly more per hour for a federal job, but the employee wouldn't get the good job benefits, security etc that permanat employees get. The hourly rate they are offering you is in line with other job postings I see market stinks.
 
Hi guys,

I received an offer for IHS contractor pharmacist position for $50/hr including medical/dental insurance, PTO (40hr), liability insurance, and worker's comp. The contract is 1 yr long. I have 3+ of experience and currently unemployed. Would like to know if this is a decent offer. TIA

Updates: I have just spoken to the staffing agency and was told that they can offer $56/hr without any insurance (if with insurance, effective after 3 months of hire date). Also, was informed that no housing would be provided. I negotiated to have them pay half of the housing cost to this point.
This could be a huge problem as many of the reservations are hours from an apartment or even a hotel. Ask if you can stay in a trailer. Additionally, get ready for some real backward policies, bagging the medications, working the intake window, all with overqualified resident trained PHS people. The computer system is from the 1970s...
Still better than retail if you are good at tech work. You won't have to put tablets in bottles, however.
 
I also wouldn't take the job unless you have nothing else. Once the place is fully staffed, they will cancel the contract. Many new grads go to these places for a year before quitting and working somewhere else.
 
I also wouldn't take the job unless you have nothing else. Once the place is fully staffed, they will cancel the contract. Many new grads go to these places for a year before quitting and working somewhere else.
Totally true.