IHS contractor pharmacist $50/hr offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dfa124

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
*****Thank you all of you for your advices. I really appreciate it!

Hi guys,

I received an offer for IHS contractor pharmacist position for $50/hr including medical/dental insurance, PTO (40hr), liability insurance, and worker's comp. The contract is 1 yr long. I have 3+ of experience and currently unemployed. Would like to know if this is a decent offer. TIA

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
At least that would go towards PSLF. Don't they offer additional loan repayment strategies?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like a great offer especially with the housing.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait for better offer. Something better must be coming up while you are unemployed.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I think for being unemployed...yeah, it's a pretty good offer.

The contracting company is PAID by HHS for the housing if remote. If you are having to relocate to the actual reservation (no other housing within 30 miles) and you have to rent from the tribal government, the contracting company is certainly cheating you.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys,

I received an offer for IHS contractor pharmacist position for $50/hr including medical/dental insurance, PTO (40hr), liability insurance, and worker's comp. The contract is 1 yr long. I have 3+ of experience and currently unemployed. Would like to know if this is a decent offer. TIA

Updates: I have just spoken to the staffing agency and was told that they can offer $56/hr without any insurance (if with insurance, effective after 3 months of hire date). Also, was informed that no housing would be provided. I negotiated to have them pay half of the housing cost to this point.

My experience with contractors leads me to believe you and the contractor are probably splitting the payment the ihs paid the contractor 50-50. Ihs probably pays the contractor $100 an hour and passes 50 to you. In the past, contractor jobs would offer significantly more per hour for a federal job, but the employee wouldn't get the good job benefits, security etc that permanat employees get. The hourly rate they are offering you is in line with other job postings I see market stinks.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys,

Updates: I have just spoken to the staffing agency and was told that they can offer $56/hr without any insurance (if with insurance, effective after 3 months of hire date). Also, was informed that no housing would be provided. I negotiated to have them pay half of the housing cost to this point.
This could be a huge problem as many of the reservations are hours from an apartment or even a hotel. Ask if you can stay in a trailer. Additionally, get ready for some real backward policies, bagging the medications, working the intake window, all with overqualified resident trained PHS people. The computer system is from the 1970s...
Still better than retail if you are good at tech work. You won't have to put tablets in bottles, however.

Reactions: 1 users
I also wouldn't take the job unless you have nothing else. Once the place is fully staffed, they will cancel the contract. Many new grads go to these places for a year before quitting and working somewhere else.

I also wouldn't take the job unless you have nothing else. Once the place is fully staffed, they will cancel the contract. Many new grads go to these places for a year before quitting and working somewhere else.
Totally true.