I'll know within 4 days whether I got in!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaKi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Northwestern said they would give me a 'yes' or a 'haha' within 4 days. The good news is, I feel really confident about getting in. The bad news is, because I got rid of Miami, if I don't get in I would have to apply for fall admission. But, gotta be positive! :thumbup:

On a side note, as a Psych major and not really sure this is what I 'wanted to do', I decided to take Anatomy credit/no-credit. The good news is, I just finished my final and the exam key was there. I got a B ( all I needed was 52 points.. the class was based on a point system so 920 was lowest A, 780 lowest B etc ). At first I thought this may be a bad idea because I wanted to earn that grade, but I think this was a much smarter option. The admissions people will ask me what I got anyways and it's a lot better to say ' B ' than the necessary ' C ' I need to get the credit. Also, the more I learn now the less I need to worry about it when I get to the gauntlet that is M1. Finally, if I were a science major they said not only is it not a 'great' idea it is impossible at my school. But, as a Psych major it's perfectly 'okay' ( I also spoke to a few med admissions and they said just don't take the standard pre-meds this way and I will be fine ).

So, if you guys ever have questions about taking credit/ no-credit ( even if they say it's okay ) DON'T do it for the standard pre-med but if you absolutely have to for advanced classes it's not too big of a deal, just make sure you 'can'! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Is this for medical school or post bac? Either way, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Postbac :)

And I hope my advice helped?

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Alpha,

I was an English major and took third quarter Calculus for the heck of it my freshman year (took first two as letter grade). When I figured I was gonna get a B- or so, I changed my grading option to pass/no pass. For most med schools, they don't require Calc, so do you think they care?

Only two med schools that I know of, Harvard and Duke, even require two semesters of Calc. I am not sure about a quarter system, did you take multivariable or was it another quarter of single variable?

I guess they wouldn't care if it was multivariable. Now the first two quarters yes they probably would care.

Well, two semesters equal three quarters, so I guess Harvard and Duke would require all three. As far as variables, I don't even know. All I remember from Calc 3 are crazy three-dimensional saddle-shaped graphs and funnel-shaped ones, so there had to be at least three variables, right?.

But the AMCAS asks for BCPM gpa, even if schools don't require math, so they would consider a P in Calc like a C? Damn, shoulda just stuck with the B-.

Yeah they may automatically consider it a C. I do know that when I asked the med admissions at some schools I'm interested in the feeling I got was that they ask you or you can volunteer but if you don't volunteer they may 'assume', so that could mean 'just a pass'. In any case I wouldn't worry too much about math for pre-med. If you wanted to be a scientist definitely but a doctor doesn't require as much and instead requires more 'people' skills than a scientist. Unless you want to be a medical scientist then...

:)

Letter is in, I have gained acceptance to Northwestern's postbac program! :)

Fall 2004:

Physics 1
Organic Chem 1
Biology 1

Spring 2005:

Physics 2
Organic Chem 2
Biology 2
MCAT

Summer 2005:

Biochemistry
MCAT if necessary

:)

Congradulations. Any ideas on how you are going to pay for the program? Just curious.

Work and they said I can pay with loans.