I'll know within 4 days whether I got in!

Started by AlphaKi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AlphaKi

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Northwestern said they would give me a 'yes' or a 'haha' within 4 days. The good news is, I feel really confident about getting in. The bad news is, because I got rid of Miami, if I don't get in I would have to apply for fall admission. But, gotta be positive! 👍

On a side note, as a Psych major and not really sure this is what I 'wanted to do', I decided to take Anatomy credit/no-credit. The good news is, I just finished my final and the exam key was there. I got a B ( all I needed was 52 points.. the class was based on a point system so 920 was lowest A, 780 lowest B etc ). At first I thought this may be a bad idea because I wanted to earn that grade, but I think this was a much smarter option. The admissions people will ask me what I got anyways and it's a lot better to say ' B ' than the necessary ' C ' I need to get the credit. Also, the more I learn now the less I need to worry about it when I get to the gauntlet that is M1. Finally, if I were a science major they said not only is it not a 'great' idea it is impossible at my school. But, as a Psych major it's perfectly 'okay' ( I also spoke to a few med admissions and they said just don't take the standard pre-meds this way and I will be fine ).

So, if you guys ever have questions about taking credit/ no-credit ( even if they say it's okay ) DON'T do it for the standard pre-med but if you absolutely have to for advanced classes it's not too big of a deal, just make sure you 'can'! 🙂
 
Is this for medical school or post bac? Either way, good luck and let us know how it goes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Alpha,

I was an English major and took third quarter Calculus for the heck of it my freshman year (took first two as letter grade). When I figured I was gonna get a B- or so, I changed my grading option to pass/no pass. For most med schools, they don't require Calc, so do you think they care?
 
Only two med schools that I know of, Harvard and Duke, even require two semesters of Calc. I am not sure about a quarter system, did you take multivariable or was it another quarter of single variable?

I guess they wouldn't care if it was multivariable. Now the first two quarters yes they probably would care.
 
Well, two semesters equal three quarters, so I guess Harvard and Duke would require all three. As far as variables, I don't even know. All I remember from Calc 3 are crazy three-dimensional saddle-shaped graphs and funnel-shaped ones, so there had to be at least three variables, right?.

But the AMCAS asks for BCPM gpa, even if schools don't require math, so they would consider a P in Calc like a C? Damn, shoulda just stuck with the B-.
 
Yeah they may automatically consider it a C. I do know that when I asked the med admissions at some schools I'm interested in the feeling I got was that they ask you or you can volunteer but if you don't volunteer they may 'assume', so that could mean 'just a pass'. In any case I wouldn't worry too much about math for pre-med. If you wanted to be a scientist definitely but a doctor doesn't require as much and instead requires more 'people' skills than a scientist. Unless you want to be a medical scientist then...

🙂
 
Letter is in, I have gained acceptance to Northwestern's postbac program! 🙂

Fall 2004:

Physics 1
Organic Chem 1
Biology 1

Spring 2005:

Physics 2
Organic Chem 2
Biology 2
MCAT

Summer 2005:

Biochemistry
MCAT if necessary

🙂
 
Congradulations. Any ideas on how you are going to pay for the program? Just curious.