goodies

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2005
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
what do you say when your interviewer wants to know where else you interviewed? do you just name all of the programs you have interviewed at? there seems to be no way around it, but to answer it.

Long Dong

My middle name is Duc.
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
The Best Coast
Status
Attending Physician
what do you say when your interviewer wants to know where else you interviewed? do you just name all of the programs you have interviewed at? there seems to be no way around it, but to answer it.
I don't think it's illegal, I was asked that by someone at my home program.

DwightKShrute

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2008
Scranton
Status
"First, you tell me who else have you interviewed? And then indicate on this index card where I will be ranked in relation to them. NOW! NOW! NOW! MOVE IT!"

About the Ads

goodies

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2005
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't think it's illegal, I was asked that by someone at my home program.
if you don't have a lot of interviews, wouldn't you feel like you want to talk yourself up?

conversely, if you have a ton, wouldn't you not want to look like a douche?

opencomedo

Blissfully Ignorant
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2008
100 miles from nowhere
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I too hate this question... So far I have listed where I have interviewed and then if they want more info I tell them where I will be interviewing in January, along with the comment that more would be nice :) (seems to get a smile most of the time).

kmh22

10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2005
Status
Here's what I said back in the day (2007-08): "I've been lucky to have more than my fair share of interview invites, including at (comparable) programs x, y, and z (comparable = similar geographic or urban/rural/suburban locale, similar reputation, similar profiles, etc...)

Just give a sampling and direct the conversation.
good luck this year!

scumbagderm

10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I too hate this question... So far I have listed where I have interviewed and then if they want more info I tell them where I will be interviewing in January, along with the comment that more would be nice :) (seems to get a smile most of the time).

comedo---what a charmer you are! :p

brightoats

10+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2008
Status
Whatever, if they don't realize how competitive it is and that people apply broadly to different programs, then they are just kidding themselves.

About the Ads