illegal questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodies

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what do you say when your interviewer wants to know where else you interviewed? do you just name all of the programs you have interviewed at? there seems to be no way around it, but to answer it.

Members don't see this ad.

what do you say when your interviewer wants to know where else you interviewed? do you just name all of the programs you have interviewed at? there seems to be no way around it, but to answer it.

I don't think it's illegal, I was asked that by someone at my home program.

"First, you tell me who else have you interviewed? And then indicate on this index card where I will be ranked in relation to them. NOW! NOW! NOW! MOVE IT!"

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's illegal, I was asked that by someone at my home program.

if you don't have a lot of interviews, wouldn't you feel like you want to talk yourself up?

conversely, if you have a ton, wouldn't you not want to look like a douche?

I too hate this question... So far I have listed where I have interviewed and then if they want more info I tell them where I will be interviewing in January, along with the comment that more would be nice :) (seems to get a smile most of the time).

why would you look like a douche if you have a lot of interviews?

Here's what I said back in the day (2007-08): "I've been lucky to have more than my fair share of interview invites, including at (comparable) programs x, y, and z (comparable = similar geographic or urban/rural/suburban locale, similar reputation, similar profiles, etc...)

Just give a sampling and direct the conversation.
good luck this year!

I too hate this question... So far I have listed where I have interviewed and then if they want more info I tell them where I will be interviewing in January, along with the comment that more would be nice :) (seems to get a smile most of the time).

comedo---what a charmer you are! :p

Whatever, if they don't realize how competitive it is and that people apply broadly to different programs, then they are just kidding themselves.