Illinois c/o 2014!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zoogirl88

UIUC CVM c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would make an official thread to those of us that have chosen!!!

YAY!!!!!!

:D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! Hopefully I'll see you there in a couple years :D

I think they won't tell us anything about payment until they send out the packet in June, so until then no deposit as far as I can tell, too.

Pretty sure I saw something about it being the 23rd of Aug

I think the first day of class is the 23rd, orientation will be roughly the week before, the 17th is sticking in my head for some reason. Maybe it's true, maybe I made it up, who knows!

Hi guys, i'm checkin' in here too! I don't know if they ever gave us a date for orientation week-just for the first day of classes (the 23rd). Since last year orientation was exactly a week before classes, I'm guessing it will be the same this year, so that would be the 16th.

I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks to all for the info. Our letter says that our "experience" will begin on August 23, I'm planning on moving in July but I have to attend the wedding of a very close friend on August 13-14. Hopefully, O-tation will start the 16th so I can meet both obligations. I'm really looking forward to meeting you all and the rest of our class come August! :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is being discussed on a separate thread, but what you do all plan to do about Rabies vaccinations? I talked to a woman at U of I and she said that they do not have a set procedure for this. Would anyone recommend getting the shots prior to school starting?

I am getting mine done before school because I've talked to my insurance and they will pay for them. It's a $182 per shot and you need 3 so I'm getting them as soon as I can. My doctor had no idea what I was talking about when I asked them if they could get it for me, so I will be getting them from the health department. I think I have read on the website that the U of I school insurance does not cover the vaccinations so if you have other insurance currently you probably want to see if they will cover it.

I am getting mine done before school because I've talked to my insurance and they will pay for them. It's a $182 per shot and you need 3 so I'm getting them as soon as I can. My doctor had no idea what I was talking about when I asked them if they could get it for me, so I will be getting them from the health department. I think I have read on the website that the U of I school insurance does not cover the vaccinations so if you have other insurance currently you probably want to see if they will cover it.

Thanks Lechatnoir! I'm definitely looking into it :)

I am getting my rabies shots before school starts as well. My insurance will cover all of them.
I am getting married mid-July and will have no insurance then, so I thought it be best if I get it done now before my insurance runs out!!!

I am honeymooning until the end of July, and I am moving the first week of Aug.

So exciting!!!
Can't wait to meet everyone! :D
Anyone know where they will be living yet?

I signed a lease on a cute first floor of a house apartment a few blocks away from Hessel Park in old Champaign, (like 5 minutes from the vet school) it's kind of a mess right now but I am so excited to decorate it and make it cute! I already have most of it decorated in my head, so pumped!

There is another apartment on the second floor, that I'm pretty sure is still for rent, and is pretty cute, too, and any pets allowed! And if someone wanted to rent it we could totally carpool! It will be just me and my dog on the ground floor, and we're really not loud. I can give more information if anyone wants it.

This was posted in the other thread, but there is now a discussion in the facebook group about getting to know our classmates! (I didn't start it, but I just thought it was a good idea)

Got my first round of Rabies vaccinations on Wednesday! Didn't hurt AT ALL :) Really starting to believe that this is all happening! Yay UIUC CVM 2014!!!!!

Help!!!! I just got a call from Mary and I have a spot off the waitlist! I made a pro/con list for Illinois and Western a long time ago and of course it seemed so simple when I didn't have a choice. HOWEVER, the money thing is really starting to scare me. Any advice?!?!?! I'm looking to go into zoo med and I know I'll be extremely poor if I'm paying huge loans and making almost nothing for a vet. Anyone else make a decision similiar?

I know the debt difference is huge, and only you can decide if it's worth it to you, but if I weren't planning to go into research I think that Western would be a great environment for my learning style. So it's not only a choice of IS vs OOS for you but also of traditional vs PBL. I feel ya, it's a tough decision...either way congrats and good luck!

i was waiting to hear that you got off the waitlist!!
So, actually-its not just PBL vs traditional, remember that Illinois changed their curriculum and its actually-NEITHER now (though its probably closer to traditional..). We will have 8 weeks of clinical rotations in each of our first 2 years now. in this first year, we will START with the 8 weeks of clinical rotations and then go into the integrated curriculum, which is lecture and lab but all based on things we learned during clinics. PLEASE see if you can talk to Mary or someone to get a lot more details on it, because I think it sounds awesome! PBL is so intimidating to me....
and think of the in-state tuition of U of I!!! its not dirt cheap, but its certainly cheaper than Western.
join US! :)

yea, it does! it gives you immediate clinical experience, but without the pressure of PBL. not to knock that at all-just that I think that may not work for everyone. here's more info on it...

http://vetmed.illinois.edu/asa/curric.html

also-its probably cheaper to live in Champaign/Urbana than SoCal...but the weather in California definitely can't be beat.

Help!!!! I just got a call from Mary and I have a spot off the waitlist! I made a pro/con list for Illinois and Western a long time ago and of course it seemed so simple when I didn't have a choice. HOWEVER, the money thing is really starting to scare me. Any advice?!?!?! I'm looking to go into zoo med and I know I'll be extremely poor if I'm paying huge loans and making almost nothing for a vet. Anyone else make a decision similiar?

i already posted this on the waitlist thread but i'd go with your IS, the OOS debt isn't worth it. you can do internships, preceptorships, residency at another location that allows you to move or have a change of scenery. i'd say definitely go IS if given the opportunity. i loved an OOS school i was accepted to but i just couldn't do the debt. my personal opinion. congrats on having a decision to make. i know how tough it can be! good luck.

CONGRATS! I am in a VERY similar situation. First, of all can you please tell me how long you have to decide about your position on accepting Mary's offer?? I really am curious.

OK So I am as of now going to Western (deposit down). But I am also on the waitlist at U of I---and I was told I am at a good postion--whatever that means. So I am nervous about the situation too. If you have a lot of time to decide I would try and talk to some students at both schools---I bet if you called the admissions office they would have some.

I'm sure there's some form of deposit but I'm not positive. I have until MONDAY to decide. That's probably for the best. At this point I feel like I'm taking a multiple choice test....the longer I analyze and think about it the more cloudy my choice gets!!! Dogsncats if you want to talk it out with me I'd love an opinion from someone in a similar situation and your thoughts! Are you in the facebook group? Sorry if I should know that my brain is gone

there is no depost for U of I!!!

Thanks Nat and Pigsfoot---I'm going to respond to your PM now! Sorry just got it!

ok people here's your chance to propaganda your school to me. I'm giving Illinois it's fair shake in winning my love. Can all of you tell me why you love Illinois, things about Illinois that are awesome (helpfully awesome, not just it's cheap haha)

The new curriculum is awesome. I love the idea of clinicals throughout the 4 year period. I think that the best way to learn is through hands-on experience.

Tell us: why do you like Western more than Illinois? Is there something there that is worth spending OOS tuition?

The new curriculum is awesome. I love the idea of clinicals throughout the 4 year period. I think that the best way to learn is through hands-on experience.

At Western, hands on experience starts at week 1 and clinical rotations start year 3:D

Natalie,

I am hoping to go into Zoo Medicine as well. I chose to go to U of I because of their reputation within the field of Zoo VetMed. The three Zoo Vets I shadowed went to U of I (One graduating as recently as two years ago). In addition to that, I'm IS in Illinois :D. Overall, the decision is up to you. Good luck!

Sorry for the second post... Also, when are financial aid notifications sent? The financial aid website says it starts in March, but I haven't heard anything yet from anyone... Thanks!

I think I've been converted...I'll be making my phone call to Mary tomorrow after work...:ninja:

yayyyy Natalieises! That's great news!

Also, from my understanding (I talked to the FAFSA people) you have to call the financial aid office to find out what they are giving you. So I plan on doing that tomorrow. I haven't heard anything from them, either. And, I'm moving to Champaign on August 7th. Or at least starting the process then since that is my lease start date (I'm only about 3 hours away so I might not move for real until a day or two before orientation). I am SOOO excited to be close to home again! This whole plane flight thing is a PAIN (another reason why Illinois is a good choice, Natalieises! It gets old REALLY fast)

Congrats natalieises!!! Can't wait to meet you in the fall. :D

yay natalieises! I *knew* you were a ninja!

Congratulations to the incoming class of 2014!

For those of you seeking housing, I and another soon-to-be 2nd year vet students are seeking a housemate for our 3 BR house. Details below. Please contact me if you are interested.

2 female 2nd year veterinary students looking for housemate to share 3 BR house. The house is located near Florida and Philo in Urbana, on the 50 Green bus line. The house has a fenced-in back yard, deck, 2 car garage, gas grill, wood floors in kitchen, dishwasher, garbage disposal, sunroom, fireplace, and recycling. The house also has central air and heat. There is a washer and dryer on site. You would share a bathroom with one person. Two dogs and one cat will be living there, so the house is pet friendly. We are non-smokers, and occasional drinkers. The lease is from August 1, 2010 to July 31, 2011. Rent is 455$ a month (includes Wi-Fi and cable), utilities typically run from 50-80$ (more expensive in the winter with heat). Please email if you are interested or would like to arrange a walk-through.

We are near a 24hr Meijers and a 5-7 min drive to the veterinary school. Urbana Dog park and Meadowbrook Park are nearby.

yay natalieises! I *knew* you were a ninja!

haha. Now I feel like I'm behind on everything because I have to reverse and change everything I was planning!!!! Has anyone bought a laptop/tablet for school yet? I'm thinking tablet since I already have an awesome mac desktop and I like the idea of writing on notes.

I called financial aid and our aid notifications will be sent late may or early june (because we are grad students.) Guess we will wait until then!

ah! just got the call from mary today- see you all in the fall! :) now onto the issue of finding big-dog-friendly housing...

In case anyone here on SDN *isn't* participating in the facebook class page-(it doesn't seem full yet?!) There was an update telling us our letters will go out next week with information..
Just an FYI that you should be receiving your letters by the end of next week (not a packet). These contain information about the New Student Website, Orientation, your UIN, and much more! They are being sent to the current active address on your status page. Thanks!