Illinois students/grads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akitavet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for you...I am admitted for this fall to vet school. Our national specialty (read big important dog show) is the 3rd week in september from tuesday to saturday and my dog will be showing and has a good chance of doing some major winning. Unfortunately this year the show is in Layton, UT. How difficult would/will it be to take a day or two off? My dog and consequently my husband will be flying out for shows starting tuesday. I doubt I am going to be able to take 4 days of classes off in the beginning of my first year, but I would like to know what is reasonable to expect and if it was going to be possible to leave on say wednesday night and show thurs/fri/hopefully sat.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly it all kinda really depends on what is going on then and your personal study habits. We get all of our notes at the beginning of the semester on CD and you are not required to be in class (but I will tell you certain professors keep a copy of the class composite and notice who is there and who is not) so if you were gonna miss I would talk to them ahead of time just to cover your bases. But if you were comfortable missing classes I am sure you could get any extra notes taken during lecture from a classmate.

That being said, I looked back at my planner for the 3rd week in September this year and from Wednesday to Friday we had both a Physio and a Neuro exam. There are forms you can file at the beginning of the semester if you will be gone for an event and miss an exam (but I don't know how this applies to personal events versus things like Rolex, Symposium, etc) You have to have all affected professors sign and agree to give you the exam at a seperate time. I have never personally had to deal with this but I think one of my neighbors has (if you are reading this and I am completely off base or have anything to add please chime in - unless you are too busy studying for the Immuno final, which I KNOW you are not :p )

They set the exam schedules pretty early around here so I would say your best bet would be to first contact Mary Kelm and she will give you her honest opinion and she could let you know when exam dates are finalized.