Illusions and Disillusions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eye4eye

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Illusion: Programs in the same region may sometimes cross-talk between themselves!
I had reason to believe so,because after having been invited to BUMC, I got rejected from MEEI within ten minutes! Exactly the same happened to Arizona programs! I got an invitation, and within next ten minutes a rejection from the other one!!
Disillusion: They don't!! In fact the whole damn thing is very subjective! Probably the hospital janitor does the screening to invite people to interviews! In one of the interviews, the PD with my file in her hand (yes, good old print outs) asked me ''tell me about yourself'' and while I was busy selling myself to the best of my abilities, I could tell she wasn't listening at all! Just occasional 'hmm', 'interesting' etc, but she was going through my file! She didn't know anything about myself and I am certain she was going through it for the very first time! They review hundreds of applicants etc, but they should remember at least the very basic things (particularly if there is something uncommon) about applicants they are inviting! But they don't! Conclusion: nobody really gives a damn about interviewees, and the whole process is a nuisance!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been reading your posts for some time now, and I have to say that if any of your attitude shines through during interviews, you likely have little shot of matching anywhere. Harsh, but true. No program wants a constant complainer.

As to the above post, though, you clearly don't know enough about the process. Departments (unless tiny) have one set of faculty members that is tasked with screening the hundreds of applications. They have hard criteria (USMLE scores, grades) and soft criteria (letters, personal statements). Using those, they exclude, refine, and finally end up with an interview pool. There is another set of faculty members that actually conducts the interviews. They likely see your file for the first time on the interview day, and perhaps as they are talking to you. It's not random; it's also not completely objective; it's certainly not a conspiracy against you.

Relax. Try yoga/meditation.

Last edited:
Illusion: Programs in the same region may sometimes cross-talk between themselves!
I had reason to believe so,because after having been invited to BUMC, I got rejected from MEEI within ten minutes! Exactly the same happened to Arizona programs! I got an invitation, and within next ten minutes a rejection from the other one!!
Disillusion: They don't!! In fact the whole @#!*% thing is very subjective! Probably the hospital janitor does the screening to invite people to interviews! In one of the interviews, the PD with my file in her hand (yes, good old print outs) asked me ''tell me about yourself'' and while I was busy selling myself to the best of my abilities, I could tell she wasn't listening at all! Just occasional 'hmm', 'interesting' etc, but she was going through my file! She didn't know anything about myself and I am certain she was going through it for the very first time! They review hundreds of applicants etc, but they should remember at least the very basic things (particularly if there is something uncommon) about applicants they are inviting! But they don't! Conclusion: nobody really gives a @#!*% about interviewees, and the whole process is a nuisance!

I have a suggestion:

Illusion - the matching/interview process is very subjective, since you got an interview at BUMC and rejected at MEEI, and no one really pays attention to your application
Disillusion - You got an interview at BUMC because it is a less competitive program, and you got rejected at MEEI because it is a top tier program and you are not as impressive of an applicant as those who did recieve an interview.

and heres one more:

Illusion - the readers of this board find your postings insightful and thought-provoking
Disillusion - You have been posting the same egocentric babble for weeks and weeks, and it is the excpetion rather than the rule that your posts are appreciated. Instead, you continually annoy the readers of the boards with your whining. By now your username has been well established with immature and inane posts that are devoid of any meaningful perspective.

Please stop polluting the board in search of someone else to validate your frustrations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Disillusion: They don't!! In fact the whole damn thing is very subjective! Probably the hospital janitor does the screening to invite people to interviews! In one of the interviews, the PD with my file in her hand (yes, good old print outs) asked me ''tell me about yourself'' and while I was busy selling myself to the best of my abilities, I could tell she wasn't listening at all! Just occasional 'hmm', 'interesting' etc, but she was going through my file! She didn't know anything about myself and I am certain she was going through it for the very first time! They review hundreds of applicants etc, but they should remember at least the very basic things (particularly if there is something uncommon) about applicants they are inviting! But they don't! Conclusion: nobody really gives a damn about interviewees, and the whole process is a nuisance!

Actually, if it truly was the janitor, I don't think you would've gotten BUMC either as they have more class. She didn't read your application because her BS meter went off. And if it's such a nuisance, please drop from the match and go into psychiatry or something.

But of course! I'll practise Yoga, travel to tranquil romantic hotspots like Pakistan, Afghanistan, take things easy etc! And also I will come back with a new ID like 'Abu Teez 69' or 'EyeGuy51' or 'Buckle re-extrusion' or something like that! So many IDs were registered in Oct/Nov 2010, one more isn't gonna hurt!
On a serious note, this forum needs rodenticide! One rodent with multiple IDs is wrecking this public area!

Honestly eye4eye, what is wrong with you? Newsflash: These posts are not the same person with "multiple IDs". Why is it so hard to believe that your posts are ridiculously pointless and immature? The fact that multiple people have joined SDN in the MIDDLE OF THE OPHTHO INTERVIEW SEASON does not mean ANYTHING. If it helps you sleep at night to think ONE PERSON is posting on multiple threads questioning your sanity just so they can make fun of you, then you have a lot of issues. I am not Buckleextrusion or visionary or abuteez or whoever else has questioned your maturity etc. If you read the other threads they have posted in, it is very clear that they are not the same person either.... I feel really sorry for whoever has to be your coresident.

Last edited:
But of course! I'll practise Yoga, travel to tranquil romantic hotspots like Pakistan, Afghanistan, take things easy etc! And also I will come back with a new ID like 'Abu Teez 69' or 'EyeGuy51' or 'Buckle re-extrusion' or something like that! So many IDs were registered in Oct/Nov 2010, one more isn't gonna hurt!
On a serious note, this forum needs rodenticide! One rodent with multiple IDs is wrecking this public area!

You know what they say: "just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you." :eek:

You know what they say: "just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you." :eek:

And eye4eye, like most schizophrenic ambassadors who preach on street corners, you have a need for a bully pulpit so I have devoted an eye4eye thread where you can go post your rants and raves.

OK! Just calm down now! I'll not choose my new ID from your list! I understand those are already taken by you! That's fine! Just don't defend yourself too hard! I'll make it ''Eye Guy 69'!! Any objection with that?

I feel sorry for the program you might match with.

Please don't burden yourself! I said before this can be easily resolved by a simple check of the IP addresses for the IDs! But moderator wouldn't do that!! I feel sorry for this guy :pERVIAZ AHMED, ABU TEEZ or whatever his real name is!

I wish they would check the IP addresses... then you would see you are a psycho....

served

I wish they would check the IP addresses... then you would see you are a psycho....

served

You are a waste of time, multiple ID disorder syndrome!

I doubt the programs talk for residency. At a lot of the top programs all the top applications are reviewed more than once before a decision is made about who to interview. However, I'm pretty sure that the programs do talk about different applicants when it comes to fellowships.

There were definitely places where I felt that the attendings interviewing me clearly did not care about my application, so I ranked them really low on my list, because I want to go somewhere where I am wanted/liked.

Good luck. Don't get stressed too much. :luck: