1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

I'm a bit confused........

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by peter11, Jan 8, 2002.

  1. peter11

    peter11 New Member

    Jan 6, 2002
    Likes Received:
    I'm not a American medical student, but I have noticed that most of the people on this international forum are and so I have found it very interesting to learn about the route that many of you will have to take in order to practice back in the US. I think that I am right (but please correct me if I'm wrong) in my understanding that the USMLE and CSA are required for licensure in the US and that the score is also a factor in applying for post-graduate programs (residency i think?). If this is correct (albeit simplified greatly) than I'm still a little confused about something.

    If residency is essentially post-graduate study and work in order for the doctor to be able to specialize in a given medical discipline, then what would happen with a doctor who comes to the US and has already undergone complete post-graduate training and has practiced in his given specialty for a number of years? I understand that they would be required to take the USMLE and CSA for licensure, but what next? Would a highly skilled neurosurgeon from France or England with 15 years of experience in his field really be expected to enter into post-graduate level work? I find it a bit strange (and arrogant) that such a qualified doctor would be asked to retake training under the guidance of doctors who may not even be as skilled or experienced as he is.
    Is this really the procedure that qualified physicians would have to endure?

    Also what is a fellowship and does this in some way relate to doctors such as those I have asked about?
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

  3. Winged Scapula

    Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

    Apr 9, 2000
    Likes Received:
    Attending Physician
    It highly depends on the specialty, the work environment and the person of whom you are speaking. It is my understand that recognized international experts/authorities in their field are often allowed to practice in the US without having to repeat residency. While you cannot be Board Certified in Surgical Specialties for example without having trained in the US, this does not prohibit you from practicing - just may limit your practice options.

    I agree it does seem arrogant and I am certain that there are loopholes, although most foreign trained physicians I come into contact with were made to retrain once here in the US.

    Hope this helps.

Share This Page