I'm back with more questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kayak30

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello All,

I'm back with some additional questions since I no longer have an advisor (& he wasn't helpful in the first place). I need some help with learning more about the application process for both MD/DO schools.

Recap: I'm in my 30's went from a formal post-bac to a community college due to cost. I posted previously because I was concerned about my chances due to C's in pre-req's...I am back on the upward trend, however, I'm at a community college now.

My pre-req BCPM grades are:

College Math: A
Statistics 1: B
Statistics & Probability 2: A
Pre-Calculus: A

Bio 1 & Lab: A
Bio 1, Lab: B+, A-

Physics I: W, C, Lab: C
Physics II: B, Lab: C

Chem 1: W, C, Lab: B-
Chem 2 & Lab: A (at a community college)
Orgo 1 & 2 to follow this fall at community college (hoping for A's here too).

My questions:

1) What courses count towards my GPA for MD vs. DO? I'm trying to calculate my GPA to figure out if I need to re-take Physics (I would prefer not to spend the money). I did some searching through old threads and I am still very confused about this. Can anyone suggest an easy way to calculate both DO/MD gpa and compare them to see where I stand?

2) Do I count genetics, evolution, and elective classes that are considered "natural science" such as human genome, infectious diseases, and a research intro class called intro to scientific thought? How about environmental science or earth science courses?

Thank you very much in advance!! :oops:

1. For DO schools, you will use all of your grades except for classes that you retook (where you only use the latest grade). For MD schools, I believe* (correct me if I'm wrong someone) but you will just use the GPA for all of your classes, in the case of retakes, you have to use both the old grade and the newer grade. In other words, there is no grade-replacement.

For example, if you got a C in physics 1 (say 3 credits) the first time, then retook it and got an A, for DO schools you would have a 4.0 for 3 credits. For MD schools you would combine them and you'd have a 3.0 with 6 credits.

2. Yes, it seems like most of those classes will count towards your science GPA. Science GPA is counted using Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics courses, no matter what level they are at. Math is included in MD science GPA but from the AACOMAS site it appears that not for DO schools.

FYI here are the guidelines for AMCAS (MD schools):

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181676/data/amcas_grade_conversion_guide.pdf

For DOs here are some guidelines also:

https://aacomas.aacom.org/survey/views/client/aacomas/collegesInstructions4.html

Last paragraph:
GPA and Credit Hour Computations

AACOMAS will calculate your GPA and credit hours according to the following rules -- GPAs and credit hours will be calculated for Science, Non-Science and All course work. Science GPAs include Biology/Zoology, Biochemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Other Science, and Physics. Non-science GPAs include Behavioral Science, English, Math, and Other Non-science.

Courses with AACOMAS grades of Pass, Non-pass, and Advanced Placement are not included in GPA calculations. Only the last instance of a repeated course is included in GPA calculation.

Thank you for the information. So regarding my natural science courses: human genome, evolution, genetics with lab, and infectious diseases...for AMCAS I put these courses under Biology?

I will start a spreadsheet or something and try to calculate to see where my GPA stands with each (I do think my Math grades are helpful so I'm worried about DO gpa now...we shall see I guess). :xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the information. So regarding my natural science courses: human genome, evolution, genetics with lab, and infectious diseases...for AMCAS I put these courses under Biology?

I will start a spreadsheet or something and try to calculate to see where my GPA stands with each (I do think my Math grades are helpful so I'm worried about DO gpa now...we shall see I guess). :xf:

Yes, those should probably go under Biology. In general, your school should have some way of delineating it in the course name. ie BIO100 = molecular and cellular biology or BIO 250 = Genetics, etc.

Just remember that those rules only apply for your science GPA, for your overall GPA you will still include math courses in the calculation for DO.

Yes, those should probably go under Biology. In general, your school should have some way of delineating it in the course name. ie BIO100 = molecular and cellular biology or BIO 250 = Genetics, etc.

Just remember that those rules only apply for your science GPA, for your overall GPA you will still include math courses in the calculation for DO.

Sounds great, thank you very much! :)