SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

IM books

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by megpie111, May 9, 2008.

1. megpie111

megpie111 5+ Year Member

Feb 12, 2006
    What's better, Harrisons, or Cecils for IM? I have Cecils, and can't decide if i should by Harrisons or not...
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. JayneCobb

JayneCobb big damn hero.... Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Out of the two new editions of both, I think Harrison's is much better. But unless you're a book junky like me, don't waste the extra money on getting both as Cecil's is still a good IM text.
  4. muscles

muscles student of the month 2+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2008
    It seems like most people consider Harrison's to be the "gold standard".

Just curious, are you using Cecil's textbook or Cecil's essentials?
  5. nebrfan

nebrfan Rx Beer 10+ Year Member

May 11, 2005
    You may want to check to see if your school's library offers Harrison's online for free - I end up using the online version much more often than my hard copy.

I would also suggest Step Up to Medicine as a great review text - nearly everyone at my school uses it (and our average medicine shelf scores are consistently at least 1 s.d. above the national average)
  6. megpie111

megpie111 5+ Year Member

Feb 12, 2006
    it's cecils textbook- is there a difference?
  7. chameleonknight

chameleonknight Friggin go away, freaks. 15+ Year Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Tulsa, OK
    Cecil's Essentials is the abridged version, probably what you have. That seems a bit dense for the shelf though.
  8. yohimbine1

yohimbine1 7+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2008
    I never got a Harrison's. Similarly I only use my Robbins as a stand to elevate my laptop. What are these books really meant for in M1-M4? I feel like with the resources available on the internet these days they are becoming less and less applicable.