I'm bored, how would you rank the following progs for heme/onc afterwards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kafkaontheshore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
sooo fourth year is great, but it's also boring, and i was just sitting around doing nothing, so i thought i'd start a discussion for fun. i know, pathetic.

anyway, just wondering how you all would view the following programs, considering i'm thinking heme/onc afterwards. i've decided i can stand the weather at all these locations, so that's not a huge factor, but i'm single and do enjoy culture/bars/fun atmosphere. these aren't all the schools i'm applying to and i haven't interviewed everywhere yet, but some of these programs don't receive much discussion on the board, so i thought i'd bring em up.

you don't have to "rank" them if you don't want to, just views/opinions would be cool too.

UIC
Wisconsin
Wash U
UTSW
Emory
UNC
Baylor
Iowa
Case

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Rank 'em by NIH cancer center status:

CCC:
WashU
UTSW (recently obtained CCC)
UNC = Wisconsin = Iowa = Case Western

CC:
Emory = Baylor

None:
UIC

Which is pretty close to how I would rank them, regardless of CC staus. With the following exceptions.

WashU >>UTSW=UNC=Wisc=Iowa>CWRU=Baylor (can you still rotate @ MDACC? that might move it up the list)=Emory >>>UIC

Members don't see this ad :)
Which is pretty close to how I would rank them, regardless of CC staus. With the following exceptions.

WashU >>UTSW=UNC=Wisc=Iowa>CWRU=Baylor (can you still rotate @ MDACC? that might move it up the list)=Emory >>>UIC

Thanks guys! That's good stuff. Several questions, answer any or all :)

1.) So Wash U is clear-cut above the others? TWO greater than signs, huh? :) Reasoning?

2.) So, OK, among the creamy center of my list (UTSW, UNC, Wisc, Iowa), any relative strengths or weaknesses given my future goals? I KNOW it's splitting hairs among a bunch of great places, but the more opinions I get, the better, I think.

3.) About Iowa. I've heard nothing but good things about this place, and it obviously has a well-recognized cancer center, but when I cursorily look through their match list in heme/onc I'm underwhelmed - what do you make of that?

4.) So both y'all put Emory a step below the others. I thought they also had an NCI-designated cancer center? And I dunno if it matters, but American Cancer Society is in Atlanta too, right? Anything goin on at Emory I should know about?

5.) I don't think Baylor residents rotate at MDACC anymore.