I'm confused about boots

Started by evines
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

evines

peek-a-boo
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is acceptable for OBC and then for USUHS at our casual BDU days?

Does the entire upper have to be leather? Or can it be made of part leather, part cordura (sp)? Is a jungle boot acceptable? What type of boot won't destroy my feet for weeks, but will still be allowed at OBC and USUHS?

Also, does anybody have any tips about how to keep from killing my feet at OBC if I have to wear crappy boots? I was thinking about duct tape.


For example, is this ok?

http://www.armynavyshop.com/Merchan...rmy-navy-shop&screen=PROD&product_code=rc5050
 
evines said:
What is acceptable for OBC and then for USUHS at our casual BDU days?

Does the entire upper have to be leather? Or can it be made of part leather, part cordura (sp)? Is a jungle boot acceptable? What type of boot won't destroy my feet for weeks, but will still be allowed at OBC and USUHS?

Also, does anybody ahve any tips about how to keep from killing my feet at OBC if I have to wear crappy boots? I was thinking about duct tape.

I think it depends on which branch you are. Each branch has different rules about non-standard boots. Generally there are some options available, including "jungle" boots - those with cloth tops.

However, DONT EVER buy bad boots. You can't live with them, it's not worth it.

Figure out when your feet are the largest in the day (morning/evening), buy the boots then. Wear actual boot socks (not gym socks). Get the boots that fit - if you don't know how to fit a boot (they will be a size or two larger than your normal shoe size) then go to a camping website (www.rei.com is one) and learn about fitting hiking boots, and apply the same lessons to combats.

Once you buy the boots (especially if buying them from clothing sales) wear them around the house (on carpet) for several hours, and make sure they fit, no hot spots, etc. If they don't fit right out of the box, they'll never fit right, and there are no drugs that can fix the misery of hurting feet. Once you're comfortable with the boots, wear them to loosen them up ("break them in") and then shine them up.
 
Thanks. I added a link to a pair something like I am thinking about getting. Do you or anyone else know if Army will allow a pair like this?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The ripply sole are fine. You are a medical student, not a gun bunny. Your five days in the field will not mess up your boots. If you can find a pair of ripple soles that come pre-shined, buy them immediately and thank yourself later. I know a guy who is at usuhs right now wearing exactly that.