I'm considering something...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DreamLover

Bored Certified
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a situation where I live in my home state on one side of the country and my family (mom, dad, bro, sis-law, 3 nieces) all live on the other side of the country. Now I have a sincere interest in a residency program in their city...there is only one program and I'm worried that I might not even get an interview because some schools tend to pick interview applicants from a regional pool and I'm from way out in left field. I'm thinking of contacting the department now and reiterating my interest in their program and making sure that they know I have a sincere interest in moving to their city. Does that sound like a good idea? Do people do that? Would it be wrong? Does anyone think it's too early? I just don't want them to decline me for an interview before I've had the chance to let them know I am serious about their program...I didn't want to go overboard in my PS and make it all gushy about my family and everything so I tried to stay professional and with the facts but I do want them to know that having my family around me would make me a very happy and productive resident.

Any thoughts anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

well I guess , it depends on ur CV , if it satisifies the program's standards , and they don't have other priorities , then they will be happy to help I guess ... if they don't then it is a program that u really don't want to go to ..
I guess u can give it a shot and try to contact the program director personally by any way possible ..

well I guess , it depends on ur CV , if it satisifies the program's standards , and they don't have other priorities , then they will be happy to help I guess ... if they don't then it is a program that u really don't want to go to ..
I guess u can give it a shot and try to contact the program director personally by any way possible ..

I'm a decent candidate...it's not like I would drag their averages down or anything...I like my CV...but then again...I am biased :)

I think I will email the contact email address on the web site...I mean, they put the contact info up there for a reason....I'm sure I'm not the only persona emailing them about interst in the program.

Does anyone think that it's unprofessional to do this or shady in any way? I don't want them to pity me per say just to get an interview...I know I'm qualified...I just don't know how many people out there look just like me on paper:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
You could change your statement and tailor it for this program only. Just talk about your ties to the area and how important it is to return. That should get you an interview at least assuming no red flags. I think most (not all) programs actually read what you write.

Call them up. I know someone who did after being essentially overlooked and ended up matching at a very competitve program. So if everyone else on sdn is getting interviews from them, call 'em. I wouldnt make yourself into a pest quite yet tho

Call them up. I know someone who did after being essentially overlooked and ended up matching at a very competitve program. So if everyone else on sdn is getting interviews from them, call 'em. I wouldnt make yourself into a pest quite yet tho

yeah...I do not want to be labeled as the pest this early in the game...so I think you're right...once the invites start to roll in...if I haven't gotten one from them or if others have (barring they don't send me a rejection email or something) maybe then I'll call...I just don't want to wait too long (so all their interview slots are full or something)