IM-Derm Combined

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rjt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year US MD student who is interested in the IM-Derm combined programs. There are 9 of these programs and ~15-ish positions from what I can tell. How many people apply to these programs? Derm is clearly a competitive specialty so I imagine the combined programs are too...can anyone comment on the degree to which this is true? I would be applying with specific interest in the combined programs rather than just one field or the other (and don't have much interest in applying to the fields individually). With step 1 in low 230s, honors/hp clerkship marks, and non-derm research and pubs would these combined programs be attainable?

Members don't see this ad.

The IM-dermatology combined programs are still highly competitive. Most of the applicants are applying to regular dermatology programs as well, so you would likely be competing with the general dermatology applicant pool.

I don't think I've seen statistics for IM-derm combined programs, but your application would be below average for a regular derm candidate. I'd recommend that you start looking into dermatology research, and try to get your name onto something derm related. I'd also recommend that you consider applying to derm (and possibly IM) independently as well...with just 9 programs, you should definitely have a contingency plan.

I applied to both Med-Derm and Derm. Because of the few spots in Med-Derm it can probably be viewed as more competitive but at the same time, I think fewer people apply so you're competing with a smaller pool of applicants, albeit still excellent.

My guess is that to do Med-Derm, you need to show compelling reason and obviously excellence and interest in IM. This includes doing well on the rotation, showing interest in IM related research, and have compelling reason as to why you would want to train for another year in IM as opposed to doing straight derm.

I don't think it would be wise to only apply to med-derm. You can count on not getting interview invites to all (7?) programs, so then you'd be ranking only a couple, and the numbers would not at all be in your favor. I've met 1-2 people who applied to medicine as a back-up, but the other med-derm applicants I've met (2 dozen or so) all applied to derm as a back-up, including myself. I agree that you should consider a one year derm fellowship and try to get as many pubs as you can (that is good advise for almost anyone).

Best wishes!