IM/Derm vs Dermatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mountaindew2006

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what's the difference b/w the two? It seems like they would be the same. in fact, i would assume IM/Derm would be easier to get into since I doubt people are aware of the option. Can they do the same things? Is IM/Derm in fact easier? I just dont know the differences and would like to learn.

tahnks

Members don't see this ad.

mountaindew2006 said:
Just out of curiosity what's the difference b/w the two? It seems like they would be the same. in fact, i would assume IM/Derm would be easier to get into since I doubt people are aware of the option. Can they do the same things? Is IM/Derm in fact easier? I just dont know the differences and would like to learn.

tahnks
There are very few such programs in the US,the handful of spots available are not likely to be an easier match than derm by itself.They are intended to train individuals who want to practice medical dermatology in an academic setting and will focus on training practitioners who can handle derm patients with complex rheumatological/internal medicine problems.Since they will be internists as well as dermatologists they can practice in both capacities.Most derm depts dont think this combined program is necessary hence the rarity of them.

mountaindew2006 said:

tahnks

Which programs have the IM/DERM option?

Members don't see this ad :)
MadameLULU said:
Which programs have the IM/DERM option?

not sure...i just saw something written about the existence of this....

What do you lose if you do IM and then a fellowship in Derm? Isn't that easier to get into? I suppose your scope of practice is not the same as a Dermatologist though. Anybody know?

OnMyWayThere said:
What do you lose if you do IM and then a fellowship in Derm? Isn't that easier to get into? I suppose your scope of practice is not the same as a Dermatologist though. Anybody know?

I wasn't aware that there were fellowships in dermatology. I know some exist for dermatopathology...but that's only supposed to be open to path/derm graduates.....

OnMyWayThere said:

So you CAN do an IM residency and then apply for derm (3+3). This is the less traditional method (as opposed to doing 4 years med school + 1 year internship + 3 years derm).
You won't be applying for a "fellowship" per se. You would actually be applying with the entire derm applicant pool for that particular year. Because you already would be BE/BC in IM, you wouldn't have to do a prelim year and you could then just do 3 years of derm right after IM.
Of course, if you wanted your years to be continuous, I suspect you would have to apply for an entry spot into a derm residency while you are a 2nd year IM resident.
If the above isn't clear, ask me where I can clarify because my answer sounds a bit confusing after reading it.

You can't sit for the derm boards on a fellowship alone. Only option is dermpath, which requires that you've already got either derm or path. (it's a joint program between the two boards, and DOESN'T make you a dermatologist if you come from the path side, or vice versa). If you want to do two (residency) programs, then that's certainly a possibility. However, I'm not sure that a completed IM program would necessarily make you a more competitive derm applicant.

OnMyWayThere said:

It's not easier. You are applying for a derm residency all over again along with all the other 4th year med students who are applying for derm. There are no easy ways into derm.

esposo said:
It's not easier. You are applying for a derm residency all over again along with all the other 4th year med students who are applying for derm. There are no easy ways into derm.

Well I asking about fellowships... not derm residencies that 4th years apply to. But another poster said they do not exist.

OnMyWayThere said:
Well I asking about fellowships... not derm residencies that 4th years apply to. But another poster said they do not exist.

I know what you were asking. Fellowships don't exist which is why I said they apply to derm residencies when they finish IM or whatever. There are no easier routes to derm.

did anyone apply to the combined programs? i read the links that someone had posted and i guess that you have to be accepted by both the derm and IM programs..and so in the end you are board-eligible in both...anyway the combined program seems really cool... any info about the competitiveness of such programs vs. derm alone etc etc would be much appreciated!

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
hello guys,
hey what r u people talking about ? the combined residency of IM/DERM and just IM those can't be compared at all in any way .
and for ur info the combined program is offered at three places in USA

1)SUNY at Stony Brook Program
2)University of Pennsylvania Program
3)University of Wisconsin Program

and the combined program has only 2 positions in whole USA as against 102 positions in dermatology
and the residency period of combined is 5yrs as more than IM or dermatology .
hope this answered all ur questions .
have a nice time :)

inddoc77 said:
hello guys,
hey what r u people talking about ? the combined residency of IM/DERM and just IM those can't be compared at all in any way .
and for ur info the combined program is offered at three places in USA

1)SUNY at Stony Brook Program
2)University of Pennsylvania Program
3)University of Wisconsin Program

and the combined program has only 2 positions in whole USA as against 102 positions in dermatology
and the residency period of combined is 5yrs as more than IM or dermatology .
hope this answered all ur questions .
have a nice time :)

I just have one question. There are three programs, but only two spots? I'm not great at math, but something seems wrong there. Do the three programs take turns not accepting an applicant every third year? And only doing an extra year beyond the normal derm residency to get double boarded sounds pretty good to me.

I am not sure about the combo prgms but I heard that once you complete a residency....say IM, and then apply for another, say derm............its not funded. So you don't get paid.

No, it's a combined program. As previous poster noted, it's designed for treatment of complex diseases. As any derm program it's competitive, but probably not more so due to the length of the program.
However, it's so special that I would advise contacting the programs directly to get further information.

So there are 4 of these programs last I checked. Is there anyone out there that has gone through a combined Derm/IM program? What is your practice like? What were your motivations for pursuing both?

Thanks

Last edited:
There's no such thing as a derm "fellowship" You can't do a fellowship in derm like you would do a fellowship, lets say, in cardiology or GI after IM. It doesn't exist.

I don't understand the appeal for med-derm unless you're dead-set on academics and you absolutely love complex rheum/allergy/onc/derm cases. I will contend that getting into med-derm is in-fact easier than getting into regular derm. Althought NOBODY will ever admit this, med-derm is for people who want derm bad enough that they're willing to put up with an extra year, an extra board exam, and a whole bunch of useless IM knowledge. How many med-derms do you think remain double boarded 10-15 years after graduation? I'm not sure if there's data on this, but I doubt it's many at all.

When I applied last year, these were the Med-Derm programs:
1. Harvard Brigham & Women's
2. Harvard Beth Israel
3. UPenn
4. George Washington/Washington Hospital Center
5. Northwestern
6. U Wisconsin
7. U Minnesota

Most of the applicants I saw at the interviews also were applying into regular Derm (as was I). I think it might be slightly harder to match regular Derm than it is to match the corresponding Med-Derm spot at these particular programs, but I don't know of any hard data to support it.

Med-Derm is attractive for those (myself) that enjoy hospital inpatient consult dermatology as opposed to everyday run of the mill clinic cases. We like the complexities of these patients as well as the sophisticated management that comes with the territory. You shouldn't apply to med-derm unless you know what you want to do with it. Many apply because they are on the fence regarding which they want to do, Medicine or Derm.

When I applied last year, these were the Med-Derm programs:
1. Harvard Brigham & Women's
2. Harvard Beth Israel
3. UPenn
4. George Washington/Washington Hospital Center
5. Northwestern
6. U Wisconsin
7. U Minnesota

Most of the applicants I saw at the interviews also were applying into regular Derm (as was I). I think it might be slightly harder to match regular Derm than it is to match the corresponding Med-Derm spot at these particular programs, but I don't know of any hard data to support it.

It's Georgetown, not George Washington, which is affiliated w/ Washington Hospital Center.

I think I like the inpatient consult aspect of derm, and was contemplating applying for med-derm too. I finally decided against wasting an extra year that could be spent doing a cool fellowship in derm. I mean most programs should prepare you for doing consult derm if that's what you choose?

Med-Derm is attractive for those (myself) that enjoy hospital inpatient consult dermatology as opposed to everyday run of the mill clinic cases. We like the complexities of these patients as well as the sophisticated management that comes with the territory. You shouldn't apply to med-derm unless you know what you want to do with it. Many apply because they are on the fence regarding which they want to do, Medicine or Derm.