Im/em

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emtji

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i did a search on this topic....that is, the reasoning behind doing a combined program and the only reason i could find was that it was a method of having a primary care background if you get burnt out of emergency medicine. there has to be another advantage to a combined residency, right? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

there are a few people out there who actually enjoy rounding and want to be able to take on floor responsibilities...or manage an icu etc.

also in the age of chest pain rule outs etc you can do your own admits for such things even if you don't have an obs unit if you have admit privledges, but i forsee most places having some sort of obs unit in the near future

I'm not trying to be flippant, but I can't see that going into a primary care setting as the junior person in a group practice at the age of 50 with q 6 call responsibility as a cure for "burnout".

emtji said:
...it was a method of having a primary care background if you get burnt out of emergency medicine. there has to be another advantage to a combined residency, right? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
bartleby said:
I'm not trying to be flippant, but I can't see that going into a primary care setting as the junior person in a group practice at the age of 50 with q 6 call responsibility as a cure for "burnout".
Tell that to a trauma surgeon that Quinn and I know who is currently doing his FP residency after burning out of surgery after a long and successful career.

bartleby,

you raise a good point- i misspoke. I can imagine how doctors, nurses, etc, can burn out of medicine all-together. I actually enjoy rounding and managing my own patients, but it seems like overall, it's not worth an extra two years for not a great deal of personal gain.

I just don't know what i want to do with my life or even what my priorities are- a selfish good money/good lifestyle residency or something i might enjoy more but pays significantly less. i still have a fair bit of time to decide, though.

in any case, thanks for the information!

There are some people who are simply beyond help... : ]

Sessamoid said:
Tell that to a trauma surgeon that Quinn and I know who is currently doing his FP residency after burning out of surgery after a long and successful career.