• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

jngo2

10+ Year Member
May 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
Do you guys know if there is a difference in pay for sports medicine docs depending upon their residency training (ie family med makes more/less than im than er..etc)?

Jan 21, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Do you guys know if there is a difference in pay for sports medicine docs depending upon their residency training (ie family med makes more/less than im than er..etc)?

Maybe, but not necessarily. All of the usual variables apply. You shouldn't do a family medicine fellowship expecting that it will pay off financially. Do it because that's what you want to do.

andwhat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2003
United States
Status (Visible)

I think that Sports Med docs earn more than Traditional Outpatient Family Medicine. I know a couple of people doing it, and it pays very well. They do quite a few procedures as well.
Sports Med in general though, is competitive to get into -- albeit doable hopefully.

About the Ads

6ft3dr2b

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2002
nj
Status (Visible)
I was just thinking about that as a sub specialty. Is there any way to practice primary care 66% of the time as well as sports medicine 33% of the time? Or is it all or nothing? (I'm pretty sure the answer is "do whatever you want" but whats the conventional practice?). I REALLY love primary care. I would like to do sports med occasionally as a change of pace.

Thanks

Pontifex Maximus

Rads-a-palooza
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I was just thinking about that as a sub specialty. Is there any way to practice primary care 66% of the time as well as sports medicine 33% of the time? Or is it all or nothing? (I'm pretty sure the answer is "do whatever you want" but whats the conventional practice?). I REALLY love primary care. I would like to do sports med occasionally as a change of pace.

Thanks

Absolutely you can. It all depends on the environment and practice you're in. The PC sports med docs at University here run normal clinics during the week, and see sports patients off and on in there. They also are called by other docs to help with any more difficult MSK issues. 2-3 AM or PM sessions a week are dedicated to sports med.

Taus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2005
Philly
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
The practices of fellowship-trained PM&R sports docs typically differ from FP/IM/EM/Peds. They are trained in EMG/NCS, fluoroscopic and ultrasound guided interventional spine/pain procedures and do little to no primary care outside of neuro-musculoskeletal issues. One type of practice is definitely not "better" then the other....just different strokes for different folks.

Another major point to consider is the "worst case scenario"...ie you are not able to sub-specialize and must practice your base specialty. Which would you enjoy more on a day to day basis for the rest of your career...practicing in FP, Peds, EM or general PM&R?

Last edited:
About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.