IM, FM, Peds, PM&R, ER --sports medicine fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jngo2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you guys know if there is a difference in pay for sports medicine docs depending upon their residency training (ie family med makes more/less than im than er..etc)?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys know if there is a difference in pay for sports medicine docs depending upon their residency training (ie family med makes more/less than im than er..etc)?

Maybe, but not necessarily. All of the usual variables apply. You shouldn't do a family medicine fellowship expecting that it will pay off financially. Do it because that's what you want to do.

I think that Sports Med docs earn more than Traditional Outpatient Family Medicine. I know a couple of people doing it, and it pays very well. They do quite a few procedures as well.
Sports Med in general though, is competitive to get into -- albeit doable hopefully.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just thinking about that as a sub specialty. Is there any way to practice primary care 66% of the time as well as sports medicine 33% of the time? Or is it all or nothing? (I'm pretty sure the answer is "do whatever you want" but whats the conventional practice?). I REALLY love primary care. I would like to do sports med occasionally as a change of pace.

Thanks

I was just thinking about that as a sub specialty. Is there any way to practice primary care 66% of the time as well as sports medicine 33% of the time? Or is it all or nothing? (I'm pretty sure the answer is "do whatever you want" but whats the conventional practice?). I REALLY love primary care. I would like to do sports med occasionally as a change of pace.

Thanks

Absolutely you can. It all depends on the environment and practice you're in. The PC sports med docs at University here run normal clinics during the week, and see sports patients off and on in there. They also are called by other docs to help with any more difficult MSK issues. 2-3 AM or PM sessions a week are dedicated to sports med.

The practices of fellowship-trained PM&R sports docs typically differ from FP/IM/EM/Peds. They are trained in EMG/NCS, fluoroscopic and ultrasound guided interventional spine/pain procedures and do little to no primary care outside of neuro-musculoskeletal issues. One type of practice is definitely not "better" then the other....just different strokes for different folks.

Another major point to consider is the "worst case scenario"...ie you are not able to sub-specialize and must practice your base specialty. Which would you enjoy more on a day to day basis for the rest of your career...practicing in FP, Peds, EM or general PM&R?

Last edited: