IM for 2025 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToMD2025

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a USMD student at a mid-tier applying for IM this upcoming cycle. I have a 265 on Step 2 and a P on step 1. Preclinicals were p/f and I passed all courses. Clinicals I got 2 H(FM and surgery), the rest high pass (including IM) and 1P. I have 3-4 leadership positions including one club I founded. I have one paper and abstract published from my gap year, will have about 3 posters before I apply and have been on about 3 research projects throughout med school that have not produced much work. I also have a few people in mind that can write me strong letters.

Given this information, what type of programs should I consider in terms of tiers? My absolute reach programs I am interested in include Penn, Beth Israel and Emory.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Emory isn't on the same tier as UPenn/BIDMC which agree are reach programs for you

I would aim for programs like Vanderbilt/UTSW/Baylor/Emory/UNC/University of Washington/UPMC

Interesting that you perceive UPenn and BI a tier above UTSW/WashU/Pitt.

My understanding wrt prestige is that MGH/B&W/UCSF/Hopkins are the highest tier.

Then there's another tier that includes several other programs (UPenn, UTSW, WashU, Duke, Mayo, BI, NY-Presbyterian, UCLA, Michigan, +/- Pitt, probably a couple others I'm forgetting).

I'm also planning to apply IM next year. I don't care nearly about prestige as much as I do research prowess/location/lifestyle, but I'm still curious to know lol.

What even determines tiers in your opinion? Is it a mixture of clinical training, location, competitiveness? Because I'm sure that the clinical training in the second tier is not inferior to the top tier. But the top tier schools are all in locations generally viewed as more desirable, or they're named Hopkins lol.

Interesting that you perceive UPenn and BI a tier above UTSW/WashU/Pitt.

My understanding wrt prestige is that MGH/B&W/UCSF/Hopkins are the highest tier.

Then there's another tier that includes several other programs (UPenn, UTSW, WashU, Duke, Mayo, BI, NY-Presbyterian, UCLA, Michigan, +/- Pitt, probably a couple others I'm forgetting).

I'm also planning to apply IM next year. I don't care nearly about prestige as much as I do research prowess/location/lifestyle, but I'm still curious to know lol.

What even determines tiers in your opinion? Is it a mixture of clinical training, location, competitiveness? Because I'm sure that the clinical training in the second tier is not inferior to the top tier. But the top tier schools are all in locations generally viewed as more desirable, or they're named Hopkins lol.

You're absolutely right. Its not necessarily a distinction of tiers of clinical training per se but perception of competitiveness of your chances and like you said, coastal programs are highly desired compared to its Sun Belt counterparts so its not going to be as hard to match into a program like UTSW compared to a place like BIDMC (all you have to do is compare the incoming intern class)

Reactions: 1 user