IM-Genetics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prets

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I hope you guys remember me. My PD had terminated and then reinstated me to complete my PGY2 yr in IM. So I have been thinking about my options. I have received an offer from Medical Genetics. I am very interested in this offer. I think Its a new upcoming field. But I am bit worried about job prospects.
My PD will not give me great letter, so Its difficult to get PGY3 at this point. I m thinking if I could do Genetics and If in case I dont get the job later, I can look for PGY3 at that point or look for Neuro/PMR etc at the end of 2 yr fellowship in medical Genetics. What about the funding issues? I heard that you are allowed to do two residencies, so one will be Medical Genetics in my case(it requires 2 yrs of ACGME approved training to do Genetics anyway.)
Anybody has any ideas about Genetics?

Members don't see this ad.

Any input will be highly appreciated. I am very thankful to those who have written very useful comments earlier about my situation. Things are better than before. I was thinking that there might be far less jobs in Genetics compared to IM, but candidates are also less compared to IM.
Really need expert advise.
Thanks again :luck:

Any comments??? :confused:

When I was doing my pediatric sub-I in a children hospital, genetic consult was common as cell phones..... Every day someone had to order one or two on the floor. On the other hand, in the main hospital I did my rotations in, I never saw a single genetic consult. I can't imagine you being without a job with medical genetics. Many parents need advise on how to handle odd genetic diseases that are now more common due to advances in medicine that keep the patients with odd diseases alive...

Potentially this field can be as well sought as Radiology in the future, especialy if they start adding more clinical procedures.

Faebinder said:
When I was doing my pediatric sub-I in a children hospital, genetic consult was common as cell phones..... Every day someone had to order one or two on the floor. On the other hand, in the main hospital I did my rotations in, I never saw a single genetic consult. I can't imagine you being without a job with medical genetics. Many parents need advise on how to handle odd genetic diseases that are now more common due to advances in medicine that keep the patients with odd diseases alive...

Potentially this field can be as well sought as Radiology in the future, especialy if they start adding more clinical procedures.
Thank you so much for your feedback. I do appreciate it. Sorry not to write earlier.