I'm having the most challenging time...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mam4993

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...trying to find some decent clinical experience. I'm starting to think there is no such thing. I started volunteering at a hospital in May, and it's all right (i.e. everyone's nice and so forth) but there really isn't enough work for me to even go and stay there for two hours once a week. So I sent out about twenty letters to various doctors offices offering to volunteer for more exposure to the medical field this summer. Nada. So I started calling clinics. One place responded and was SUPER excited about me volunteering there but they A) are privately run and B) only do drug tests for large oil companies. Even though they would have been happy to have me the whole point of clinical experience is to have a little more exposure to medicine and thus telling people to pee in a cup all day long doesn't seem like the best route, so I declined them. Plus the whole privately run walk-in clinic thing made me skeptical. I dunno, it's just weird to me. So THEN I contacted one of the free clinics here in town and while they're always taking volunteers they again, do not really have enough work to go around. I started in medical records and there isn't even enough filing to be done to justify me staying for more than an hour or two every time I go. Which can only be once or twice a week as that's all they're open. During which there isn't even really enough chart work for me to be busy 20% of the time. Urg.

I know what everyone's thinking: volunteering is mostly useless for a lot of applicants anyway, you have to be proactive if you want do anything, try EMT, Medical Assistant, etc. etc. I know that whole song and dance. I'm not expecting to be actually doing much meaningful work here. I'm just trying to find a place that will actually have a need for someone to help them with the small things!

And while EMT and Medical Assistant programs are a great way to go I just honestly don't have the means or the inclination to spend six months in school learning either of those skills. Ugh ugh ugh. I'll call some more clinics tomorrow, I guess!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah. Doesn't your school have a "Counseling and Career Services" department or whatever? Or a premed office? They should have internships listed there for you. Stick with your hospital time, a long time at the hospital shows commitment.

jackieMD2007 said:
Yeah. Doesn't your school have a "Counseling and Career Services" department or whatever? Or a premed office? They should have internships listed there for you. Stick with your hospital time, a long time at the hospital shows commitment.

before you make any calls try this...i think it's a great idea! but whatever works for you mam, do what you think is right.

That privately-owned clinic sounds cool, but i would stick to the hospital because there are more things to see and observe...nah wha i mean? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
i think better experiences may be found by volunteering in long-term care facilities, especially non-profit or other service ones. i agree to check with your school, perhaps look into nursing homes, or certain programs that care for abused/sick/HIV+ children. these most often have many medical personnel around, and you can probably find out whether they do from their websites.

If you don't mind saying (and it's totally cool if you do mind), if you live in a metropolitan area, which one is it? There are usually _plenty_ of free clinics in most major cities and I've never heard of folks having trouble finding something to do at them.

But if your city doesn't have many, you might want to look into hospices. These usually have lots of spaces. Also, you can check with groups like http://www.volunteermatch.org/ and enter in a question for healthcare.

I live in southern Louisiana, in a fairly large city I guess. Not a major metropolitan area by any stretch of the imagination but it's pretty big (the traffic is certainly bad enough). Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I'm pretty sure my school doesn't have any kind of program like that (the pre-med adviser is just the organic teacher, no committee or anything) but I'll check it out along with your other suggestions!

Sounds like you'll have to do a lot more legwork than most who just do a basic google (I did a quick check on free clinics in Lafayetee, just to see and nothing came up immediately). But I'm sure if you put some time in, you'll be able to string together something. It'll just take a bit more sweat than most.

Keep up with it. And best of luck.

Where do people with STDs go for free testing & treatment? (Usually the local, parish (county), or State government has some type of clinic.)

Are there any free or sliding fee scale clinics for the uninsured?

Are there family planning or prenatal clinics in the area? (Planned Parenthood and crisis pregnancy centers are always looking for help.)

Hospice is good as are nursing homes. They always need help with simple tasks.

The point is to become familiar with the environment, to become comfortable with the patients and to be educated about their issues.