I'm in a situation!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lostslipper

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok.. how should I start this.. I'm a sophmore, just transfer to a differnt school this year. Lets just say that I had a bad start this past two years because i went thru alot of emotional stress (not that many of you aren't). In high school I was an excellent student with 3.8 GPA lots of AP courses. I went to an Ivy Legue school my freshmen year of college ( did horibly) so I transfered out to in-state. I got Cs average grades. My GPA is about 2.9 now but i'm very involved. I have so much going on for me.. sometimes i'm over committed/involved( i do alot of volunteer work and in many organizations). My current major now is Econ and I am planing to go abroad for a semester or maybe a year to China( for further my chinese language and Asian Studies). SO far I have taken a bio course and a chem course both got a C. This is my fourth semester and had decided to stop taking science courses all together due to my low grades. I can't stop thinking about pre-med and would like to get back to it. I don't care about time and money. My point is... I wan't to start over and get things right. How can I do so? I'm very driven.. I know that I can get A's if I try. I now have my grip together and willing to do whatever to get in the program. Can anyone help me out, tell me where I should start???? I'm desperate.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I have to ask: what Ivy League school accepted you with such appalling spelling and grammar? Sorry, but a post so poorly written is really irritating to read.

Ok.. how should I start this.. I'm a sophmore, just transfer to a differnt school this year. Lets just say that I had a bad start this past two years because i went thru alot of emotional stress (not that many of you aren't). In high school I was an excellent student with 3.8 GPA lots of AP courses. I went to an Ivy Legue school my freshmen year of college ( did horibly) so I transfered out to in-state. I got Cs average grades. My GPA is about 2.9 now but i'm very involved. I have so much going on for me.. sometimes i'm over committed/involved( i do alot of volunteer work and in many organizations). My current major now is Econ and I am planing to go abroad for a semester or maybe a year to China( for further my chinese language and Asian Studies). SO far I have taken a bio course and a chem course both got a C. This is my fourth semester and had decided to stop taking science courses all together due to my low grades. I can't stop thinking about pre-med and would like to get back to it. I don't care about time and money. My point is... I wan't to start over and get things right. How can I do so? I'm very driven.. I know that I can get A's if I try. I now have my grip together and willing to do whatever to get in the program. Can anyone help me out, tell me where I should start???? I'm desperate.:confused:

Simple...get A's in your classes. Speaking in terms of averages, people who get into some US med school have a GPA of 3.5-3.6. You also need to have the pre-med pre-reqs to even apply (not to mention a good MCAT score) Perhaps its better to focus on grades rather than studying abroad.

The sad truth is you can't start over, especially if you want to go to an allopathic medical school. Every college course you took in your lifetime counts on your GPA. This includes any college courses taken during high school. You will obviously have to take more science classes, so you better figure out why you got C's in intro bio and chem courses, because there's still the rest of those two series, plus OChem, physics, calculus (or some other math depending on the school), english, and for some schools, biochemistry or genetics. All that combined you have to then revisit all the subject areas and do well on the MCAT too. Of course, the first step is to get A's in every single one of these courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cornell. and pardon me for my typo. it's sunday and this is just a post.

Simple...get A's in your classes. Speaking in terms of averages, people who get into some US med school have a GPA of 3.5-3.6. You also need to have the pre-med pre-reqs to even apply (not to mention a good MCAT score) Perhaps its better to focus on grades rather than studying abroad.

The sad truth is you can't start over, especially if you want to go to an allopathic medical school. Every college course you took in your lifetime counts on your GPA. This includes any college courses taken during high school. You will obviously have to take more science classes, so you better figure out why you got C's in intro bio and chem courses, because there's still the rest of those two series, plus OChem, physics, calculus (or some other math depending on the school), english, and for some schools, biochemistry or genetics. All that combined you have to then revisit all the subject areas and do well on the MCAT too. Of course, the first step is to get A's in every single one of these courses.

Agreed. Take this one step at a time. Lose the studying abroad and the many organizations you are overcommitted to. Then get A's. Then see where you are. If you still need more of a boost once done with undergrad, consider a postbac or SMP. And obviously you want to do well on the MCAT. Good luck.

Agreed. Take this one step at a time. Lose the studying abroad and the many organizations you are overcommitted to. Then get A's. Then see where you are. If you still need more of a boost once done with undergrad, consider a postbac or SMP. And obviously you want to do well on the MCAT. Good luck.
I agree w/ Law2Doc. Sometimes you can start a downward spiral in school that is hard to stop.

Get rid of everything in your life and focus soley on your classes (no organizations, no overseas trips, no job, no parties, etc.). Be prepared to do 2-4 hours of homework a week for every hour you spend in class. Do not take a class unless you are reasonably certain you will get an A in it. Consider taking fewer classes a semster to help with this, especially at first.

Agree with you, make school #1 and #2 then #3 anything else, if you want Medicine that bad you can do this.

Cornell. and pardon me for my typo. it's sunday and this is just a post.

Typo? Learn to type.

I don't know what you are desperate about. It sounds like you already know what to do but you are just not doing it. Either you can start getting good grades or you just won't go to Medical School (see the connection?) Try and drop extra activities if they are interfering with your studies. Only do the things you can handle. Also choose activities that will help you gain admission instead of flag football or your sewing circle.