IM in the South, y'all

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sanfilippo

El Gaucho Misterioso
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wonderin' if you have any skinny on the following programs since I will have to cancel at least one of 'em. Hopefully someone out there will have completed an interview there:

Vanderbilt
UVa
Emory
Tulane
Duke

-S.

Members don't see this ad.

Take this as the third hand information it is but regarding Duke an intern this year told me that he decided to drop Duke from his rank list after talking to an intern who put a gold star in her calendar on days when she didn't cry (and had her husband nod in agreement to this).

That said, the dinner is nice and fancy if a bit too formal for some..

Thanks for corroborating the rampant rumors that duke is simply a malignant program. i am more interested in anything about tulane vs. emory, though, since i have a schedule conflict interviewing there.

-s.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tulane has an awesome program director and a really wonderful IM program. If I were you, I'd give it a shot. Plus, New Orleans is an amazing city with so much to offer. And yes, even as an intern, you will have time to enjoy it! And, you get to work in the Charity Hospital system, where you will see pathology that is simply not available anywhere else. It's a state-run system, so you will get a taste of what socialized medicine could be. At Tulane, you will also get to work in a private hospital (Tulane Hospital) and a federally run hospital (VA), so you really get the best of all worlds.
Is there no way you could reschedule one of the interviews?
If not, good luck making your decision -- my vote is for Tulane!

Good luck!

Really thought Emory was great.

Am going to Duke soon and am not very enthusiatic. I did not like it on my med school interview. I'm finding that I don't have a desire to go very many places and am just forcing myself because you can't put all your eggs into a few baskets.

Originally posted by Hop Toad
Really thought Emory was great.

Am going to Duke soon and am not very enthusiatic. I did not like it on my med school interview. I'm finding that I don't have a desire to go very many places and am just forcing myself because you can't put all your eggs into a few baskets.

I second Emory is a pretty nice place worth checking out.

Dunno man. In terms of raw reputation alone, Tulane seems to be the outlyer. Heard it's a good program otherwise, though... If training at high powered place is your goal, I would say Tulane.