I'm interested in Radiology

Started by ryosnk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ryosnk

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello I'm a graphic designer but I would like to venture into a new career. I went to my school and notice the Radiology program and that interested me in learning more information. So if anyone can glady answer these question I would appreciate it alot.

daily functions?
educational requirements/licensure/certification?
career demand?
salary?
personal qaulifications?

any answers would be greatly appreciated.
 
I can venture a few answers. BTW, I used to be an art director at a top ten promo agency. I have found many similarities and of course there are things that I will sorely miss about advertising, but c'est la guerre!

daily functions: can't speak to it yet... 😉 but from what I've seen you can do anything from reading only to interventional and any combo of those.
educational requirements:BA to MD, which requires 4 US licensing exams. Residency for 5 years, physics and then written and oral radiology board exams. Phew that totals 7 exams for licensure.
career demand: was just told at an interview that there will be a derth of radiologists, - how did he know? I'm not certain.
salary - 200k+
personal qualifications: what do mean by that?
 
ryosnk said:
Hello I'm a graphic designer but I would like to venture into a new career. I went to my school and notice the Radiology program and that interested me in learning more information. So if anyone can glady answer these question I would appreciate it alot.

daily functions?
educational requirements/licensure/certification?
career demand?
salary?
personal qaulifications?

any answers would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to be a Radiologist, it is 4 years of medical school and 5 years of paid residency and a starting salary post residency of over $200,000.

Is that what you are interested in or are you more interested in Radiology Technology (which is a much less involved pathway)? If you are interested in Radiology Technology then you are in the wrong place but here is a website with more info:

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos105.htm
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
shorrin said:
I can venture a few answers. BTW, I used to be an art director at a top ten promo agency. I have found many similarities and of course there are things that I will sorely miss about advertising, but c'est la guerre!

daily functions: can't speak to it yet... 😉 but from what I've seen you can do anything from reading only to interventional and any combo of those.
educational requirements:BA to MD, which requires 4 US licensing exams. Residency for 5 years, physics and then written and oral radiology board exams. Phew that totals 7 exams for licensure.
career demand: was just told at an interview that there will be a derth of radiologists, - how did he know? I'm not certain.
salary - 200k+
personal qualifications: what do mean by that?

I'm glad people are getting interviews. I'm starting to get a little nervous though. Care to share where you have received interviews??
 
bill2bob said:
I'm glad people are getting interviews. I'm starting to get a little nervous though. Care to share where you have received interviews??

Check out Auntminnie.com under the medical students discussion board. There is a post there that lists all of the interview invitations that have gone out so far.