I'm lost. Non-traditional advice needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

champSJL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a non traditional student who got a business-economics degree from UT-Austin. I graduated in 2004 and I've already decided on a career change. I'm nearly done with all my pre-req's but I'm taking them at a junior college (hey, not my choice, it's the only school that has night class...I've gotta pay the bills)

I've done over a year of research at UT-Southwestern Medical Center and my LOR's are very strong. My undergraduate GPA is a 2.8, but my science GPA is a 3.7. I took the MCAT and unfortunately bombed the Physical Sciences section but did well in other sections - ended up with a 23.

I'm a little worried about getting into a medical school in Texas. I'm re-taking the MCAT but what about the Caribbean? Is that a viable back up plan for someone in my shoes? Do they accept non-traditionals with my profile?

Members don't see this ad.

Since I don't live in Texas I can't speak to whether you are competitive there for med school. Looking at your GPA/MCAT, though, I would say that you are probably going to have problems there (you would in NJ...). You'll need to bring your MCAT up to a 30 (or above) to have any chance of getting an interview, considering your undergrad GPA. Have you thought about taking a review class like Kaplan? I was in the same situation (MCAT-wise), and the money was well spent, raising my score 11 points. Then again, I had been out of school much longer than you, and definately needed the review. As for your GPA, that's really gonna haunt you. Think about taking some extra classes to bring that up if you want to go to a US school. It can be done, but it takes a while. As for carribbean schools, I have no idea what to say. Maybe someone else can chime in, or you could ask that specific question on the carribbean board. Good luck!:luck:

I've done over a year of research at UT-Southwestern Medical Center and my LOR's are very strong. My undergraduate GPA is a 2.8, but my science GPA is a 3.7. I took the MCAT and unfortunately bombed the Physical Sciences section but did well in other sections - ended up with a 23.

I'm a little worried about getting into a medical school in Texas. I'm re-taking the MCAT but what about the Caribbean? Is that a viable back up plan for someone in my shoes? Do they accept non-traditionals with my profile?

1. Retake the MCAT.
2. Apply very broadly.
3. Caribbean medical schools will accept anyone with an open wallet.
4. Consider researching osteopathic medicine.

DO schools are typically more forgiving of mistakes and very welcoming to non-traditional students. I'd apply to several mid-tier allopathic schools and several DO schools. Both of those will give you better chances of landing a solid residency than a Caribbean school would. Retake the MCAT, keep the faith, and don't get discouraged if you don't get in after the first cycle. If medicine is your passion, you have to fight for it.

Best of luck,
-z

Members don't see this ad :)
The other advice that you received is good. The only thing that I will say, as a successful non-traditional TX applicant is that your numbers are not competitive for TX medical schools. Some schools have been forgiving of lower than average (average was about 3.65) GPAs with better than average MCAT scores (average in TX was 28, IIRC, but some schools, like UTSW had higher averages -- about a 33 in UTSW's case.)

Not sure if the 2.8 will keep you out, but the 2.8 and 23 definitely will. Get that MCAT score up to a 30+ and then we can talk.

One other comment: While Osteopathic schools tend to have a reputation (around here, at least) of being less focused on numbers, I don't think that TCOM necessarily fits that description. While it may be true that TCOM's averages are lower than the TX allopathic schools, it's not by much (I think TCOM's numbers are on par with A&M's and Tech's, IIRC.)

Right... like others have said, you gotta get your MCAT up. Examine why you bombed the physical science section. Physics phobia is a common problem but it can be beat. :)

Your cum GPA is partly mitigated by your high science GPA. Consider a few more postbacc science classes such as biochem to boost this advantage further.

Once you get your MCAT to around 28 or so, along with an "improving trend" in GPA, good LORs and some E/Cs, you'll start being competitive for osteo schools, so they may be your best choice. Osteo schools are also more nontrad-friendly than most MD schools.

Good luck!

Thanks to everyone who's responded - My practice MCAT scores are much better heading into this one. Looks like 30+ is the major goal here! I'm going to apply to several schools all over the place - almost all the Texas ones and several low to mid-tier out of state schools.

Caribbean is merely a backup but, I'm anxious to get started. In case I do not get interviews by Dec. should I start in January somewhere in the Caribbean?

The science GPA is incongruent with your MCAT. Work on that.

Even so, schools will judge you for past performance. Get your MCAT over a 30 and come back for more advice.