IM/Neuro vs. Neuro

Started by alynnw288
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alynnw288

New Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I will be applying neuro this Fall. If an institution has both IM/neuro and neuro programs, is it acceptable to apply to both programs at the same hospital?
 
I assume you mean programs that have tracks to include or not include the prelim year? If so, yes.

If you mean programs that fully train you in IM and then fully train you in neurology, there are only a few left (for good reason) and you would definitely want to distinguish why you would be interested in full training in both specialties, thereby making co-application with standard neurology training more difficult.
 
I think OP means combined program vs neuro categorical...and whether it's kosher to apply to both tracks at the same institution.

I believe there are only 2 combined programs, at Tulane and Wisconsin.

For NCC/neurohospitalist, I'd imagine a combined program would prepare you more for that track. That's one reason I'm considering combined programs. However, I wonder if there'd be any utility in just loading up MS4 year with an IM sub-I, ICU, cards, pulm electives...
 
Last edited: