I'm new!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IHeartGoldens

TUSVM c/o 2014
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself since I've been lurking for about a year now...:rolleyes:

I'm 24 years old (non-trad I guess) psych major and bio minor.

My story goes as follows...

Freshman year at college was terrible and I got dismissed for poor academic performance. Medical/family issues were too much and there you have it. Right after that, my community college record was just as stellar due to continutation of all these issues. I thought I could still attend schoolaand work through everything, but I was wrong.
Fast forward to 2006, started at a four-year school as they were kind to my situation and gave me a chance. I came to the school with no credits from previous schools and I'm graduating a semester early (3 1/2 years) this spring. My undergrad is a 3.45, my sci is about a 3.0. (I have one more semester to bring these grads up, esp my sci)
I've been conducting lab animal research and have 3 poster presentations/abstracts. In addition, I'm in the psychology honor society, hope to graduate with honors in my major for my research along with founding 2 clubs for the spring semester. I'm a member of a leadership organization along with being in the process of getting certified as a rape crisis counselor.

I'm waiting to hear back about a zoo internship and other volunteer opportunities.

Anyway, that's my background. It seems paltry compared with many of your stats but I hope that adcoms will see past my beginning and into my future potential.

Any suggestions on what I can do to improve my chances (or...Do I even have a chance as many schools looks at cumlative gpas from all schools??)
I have learned alot from my previous situations and 100% own up to them which is all I can do in regards to my past.

TIA!

Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back about their apps!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome! Glad you took the leap and joined us in words!

Welcome! We're glad to read you!

Members don't see this ad :)
You say you came to the 4 year school with no credits. Is that because you choose not to transfer them(or the grades were too low for them to transfer)?

A 3.45 is a decent GPA, but does that number take into account the credits from your community college? Unfortunately when you apply to vet schools you have to account for every college class you have taken.

Just a couple things to consider as they could have some affect on which schools you apply to or have better chances at.

My grades were too low to transfer..it was a bad bad few years.

Anyone know what schools will look favorably upon my more recent scores and improvement in light of all those medical/family issues? Or schools that might not weight those classes so heavily.
I'm guessing if we take all those previous classes into account, I wouldn't be competitive at clown college! (no offense so all aspiring clowns :) )

I'm guessing if we take all those previous classes into account, I wouldn't be competitive at clown college! (no offense so all aspiring clowns :) )

Hah! You jest (pardon the pun :rolleyes:), but I went to undergrad with someone that eventually went to clown college, and she said it was really tough to get into! On that note, I guess it doesn't really matter what kind of school it is; if there are only a few, it'll be tough no matter what! :)

Anyway, that's my background. It seems paltry compared with many of your stats but I hope that adcoms will see past my beginning and into my future potential.

SDN is an interesting place - both great because it gives so much good advice, but also disheartening because the small (and it's really tiny) percentage of all applicants that hang out on here tend to be super dedicated/on top of things/etc. When I first showed up, I was like 'that's it. If this is who I'm competing with, I'll never make it!"

Nice to meet you! Thanks for sharing your story with us. :)

Based on your story I would say your chances are pretty good. Your past academic problems your freshman year is a bit of a black mark, but if you explain yourself in interviews / personal statements you could be able turn it into an advantage. Vet schools like students that learn from their mistake and overcome adversity. Heck, I once met a professor at a veterinary college that got less than a 1.0 GPA his first semester of undergrad.

Also, vet schools will love your experience in lab animal medicine. Lab animal veterinarians are in high demand, so schools love students that have experience and interest in that area.

Best of Luck!