I'm Not Dumb, But...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted577188

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Figure out what your weaknesses are and fix them. Just because you put a lot of time in doesn't mean you're understanding the material or using your time effectively. Math might just make more sense to you, which is why it seems to come somewhat easier than chemistry. But you can still do well in chemistry. Talk to a TA, go to office hours, find a tutor, etc. Help is out there.

Overall, if you end up getting a C, it's not the end of the world. A couple C's, especially if they're in freshman year, won't keep you out of med school. Just figure out what's going wrong so that you can fix it and be prepared to handle future classes.

God I just really suck at chemistry. I'm absolutely killing it in my calculus class. Got a 95 on the first exam followed by a 91 on the second. First average was a 73, second was a 65. Chemistry on the other hand is nuts. Average was 71 on first exam, of course I got a 68. The second average was a 75 and I got a 76 so I barely beat it. With averages like these, there won't be a curve. What do I need to do? And I might add I spend much more time studying chemistry than math. I think I just naturally suck at chemistry. How do ADCOM's look at things like this? Thanks for any input or suggestions.
Not an adcom but one C or B isn't a deal breaker for the record... How you study for chem maybe the issue. Have you spoken to your professor about your test performance and asked him/her how you could improve your performance on their exams? Does you school offer free tutoring? Tons of free chem help on youtube too

Members don't see this ad :)
@Ismet beat me to it. I can't catch a break today

How do you study?
I do the given practice exams, and supplemental quizzes on Mastering Chemistry at least 5 days prior to the exam. Whenever there is a topic I don't understand, I research it enough so that it is clear to me, or at least clear enough so that I can comfortably move on and continue doing the homework. Also, I do my homework to actually understand the material (we all know you can bu!!**** Mastering Chem and still get near full points). I also review the notes while I'm doing my homework and will review them before the test as well. Reading the book is not any help. Occasionally, I will watch tutorials online to better understand the concepts. That's about it, and that's a lot more than many people.

Figure out what your weaknesses are and fix them. Just because you put a lot of time in doesn't mean you're understanding the material or using your time effectively. Math might just make more sense to you, which is why it seems to come somewhat easier than chemistry. But you can still do well in chemistry. Talk to a TA, go to office hours, find a tutor, etc. Help is out there.

Overall, if you end up getting a C, it's not the end of the world. A couple C's, especially if they're in freshman year, won't keep you out of med school. Just figure out what's going wrong so that you can fix it and be prepared to handle future classes.
Just to make things clear, I'm not the typical C-a-phobic pre-med. I just got a C in General Chemistry 1, but I would love to be able to pull a B in this class. That is my only grade I'm not satisfied with thus far.

Just to make things clear, I'm not the typical C-a-phobic pre-med. I just got a C in General Chemistry 1, but I would love to be able to pull a B in this class. That is my only grade I'm not satisfied with thus far.

And in all fairness, I do not go to office hours because it ends up being a bunch of confused students not knowing basic material that I already know, and naturally my lecturer has to help the bulk of the class and not just me. I would like to better understand why things happen as they do, not just being told that they happen and taking it at face value. My TA is a great guy who's willing to help. I'll probably utilize him a little more.

I do the given practice exams, and supplemental quizzes on Mastering Chemistry at least 5 days prior to the exam. Whenever there is a topic I don't understand, I research it enough so that it is clear to me, or at least clear enough so that I can comfortably move on and continue doing the homework. Also, I do my homework to actually understand the material (we all know you can bu!!**** Mastering Chem and still get near full points). I also review the notes while I'm doing my homework and will review them before the test as well. Reading the book is not any help. Occasionally, I will watch tutorials online to better understand the concepts. That's about it, and that's a lot more than many people.

So what happens on exam day that you don't perform well? Test anxiety? Are you able to look at old exams? Sometimes the professor can just be an :asshat: and make impossible exams, but if the average is a C, that means some people are obviously doing well on the exams. It sounds like you're studying well and understanding the material, but the problem comes with the exam.

So what happens on exam day that you don't perform well? Test anxiety? Are you able to look at old exams? Sometimes the professor can just be an :asshat: and make impossible exams, but if the average is a C, that means some people are obviously doing well on the exams. It sounds like you're studying well and understanding the material, but the problem comes with the exam.

I don't freak out during tests (I never exactly understood test anxiety anyway???) But yeah, this last exam I thought I had for sure everything but 2 completely correct. Well as a multiple choice exam, it's hit or miss, although more than 1 answer ALWAYS seems to make sense. Well anyway, thanks for your input and I'll just try even harder. The good thing is that calculus is obviously factored into my science GPA that med schools differentiate from my actual cum GPA. Also, it's the same number of credit hours as chemistry (5), so it'll all work itself out by the end of the semester. I figure I could work on all chemistry and still make low C's or keep doing as I am now and keep a balance going (although now chem is still always my main focus). Math is a late night kind of subject where I'm tired as hell and will watch videos until I fall asleep. LOL

Get a tutor. I helped a premed from a F to a B on her first and second test. :D
That was 500$ later and 10 hours of tutoring.

Ps. You need gen chem to do well on MCAT and ochem