I'm on internship and want to get my supervisor a gift. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by chrostopherhenandex, May 19, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. chrostopherhenandex

chrostopherhenandex

Nov 25, 2015
    Just wondering!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. AcronymAllergy

AcronymAllergy Neuropsychologist SDN Moderator 7+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Psychologist
    Something small. $5-10 max. Maybe a Starbucks gift card, coffee mug, or something similar if they're highly-caffeinated.

4. PsychPhDStudent

PsychPhDStudent 7+ Year Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Maybe a plant? Something small they can keep on their desk?

5. Therapist4Chnge

Therapist4Chnge Neuropsych Ninja Faculty Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Oct 6, 2006
    The Beach
    Faculty
    A hand written note expressing your appreciation. I'm admittedly old school, but as a supervisor it's my fav thing bc it's a small reminder of a good outcome.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    MamaPhD and Promethean like this.
  6. PSYDR

PSYDR Psychologist 10+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2005
    A human finger. They won't ever forget that. Admittedly, I am old school.... Japanese organized crime.

7. Promethean

Promethean Syncretist 2+ Year Member

Jul 2, 2014
    Western PA
    I am opposed to gifts with significant monetary value. They may be unethical for the recipient to accept, and even if not, can leave them feeling uncomfortable about the gift. Even $5 as a gift card. And come on, gift cards are like handing someone money but telling them where they have to spend it. Double awkward.

A sincere expression of thanks via card is good. I personally like to give handmade items. I made a funny framed needlepoint for a resident who was incredibly helpful to me. Materials cost less than $5. Probably about 2 hours of my time to make it. I like the symbolism of taking something of little intrinsic value and making it have meaning and aesthetic value through application of time and skill. That is essentially what happens in the training/education process, and so gifts that reflect that are appropriate. Ideally, a little craft that conveys a particular idea, maybe referencing an inside joke or some point that the recipient had really stressed.

Or, you know, a coffee mug is good, too, if you aren't crafty. Something that the person can keep and use for years, to remind them of your time together.

Ultimately, though, it really is the thought that counts. Demonstrating that you cared enough and were grateful enough to make the gesture. That is what will make the person feel good.

NeuroLady likes this.
  8. Kadhir

Kadhir

Nov 13, 2015
    I often give food, because it's cheap and I've usually worked with them long enough to know what they like. And you know, I talk about food constantly. It may not last physically, but the gesture is remembered if you plan it well.

I left my supervisor a large gourmet cookie in their box after the election. They stress-ate it in seconds without even knowing who it came from.

9. Justanothergrad

Justanothergrad Counseling Psychologist 2+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Psychologist
    Faculty
    I usually just sign a picture of myself, slide it under their door, and whisper "sell it later" when I see them.