1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

IM Question

Discussion in 'Step II' started by nirvanamona, Mar 8, 2007.

1. nirvanamona

nirvanamona New Member

kinda new in here and most threads in here are general so i'm not too sure where to post CK questions or queries.

pls explain the use of antivirals i.e. Oseltamivir and Zanamivir in the treatment of influenza infection. it appears that establishing the diagnosis through lab methods is a time consuming process yet antivirals must be initiated within 48hours to be effective. my Q is do we prescribe patients with antivirals by clinical suspicion? i tried going through the cdc website on the guidelines of prescribing antivirals but i am still in the dark.

anyone?

2. AlternateSome1

AlternateSome1 Burnt Out
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    rapid flu nasal swab..comes back in minutes and tamiflu can be initiated

3. Critical Mass

Medical Student
    Agree, but make sure it's a nasopharyngeal collection. Also be wary of some of the testing kits used by labs. Some of them are no good at detecting flu due to low senstitivity.