IM Residency After Psych Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beejan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has done or know of any possibilities of getting double board certification in IM after completing Psych residency, i heard that there are funding issues or is it easier to do double board certification, how do we find out about those funding issues?

While doing Psych residency what other specialities can one switch too after completing pgy-1 or Pgy-2 like can we switch to IM or Neurology, or would it be better to complete psych residency and then apply again for IM residency, that would be i beleive 4 + 3 years right?

and what are the chances of getting into IM residency after becoming board certified or completing residency in psychiatry ? Will it make your more competitive, any suggestiong would be welcome?

Would appreciate any suggestions Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if anyone has done or know of any possibilities of getting double board certification in IM after completing Psych residency, i heard that there are funding issues or is it easier to do double board certification, how do we find out about those funding issues?

While doing Psych residency what other specialities can one switch too after completing pgy-1 or Pgy-2 like can we switch to IM or Neurology, or would it be better to complete psych residency and then apply again for IM residency, that would be i beleive 4 + 3 years right?

and what are the chances of getting into IM residency after becoming board certified or completing residency in psychiatry ? Will it make your more competitive, any suggestiong would be welcome?

Would appreciate any suggestions Thanks

If you want to do IM, switch now. No reason to waste years.

Whether or not your intern year will be counted will depend on where you apply and where you did your internship. For many IM programs, you have to start from the beginning.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to do IM, switch now. No reason to waste years.

Whether or not your intern year will be counted will depend on where you apply and where you did your internship. For many IM programs, you have to start from the beginning.

But after doing 1 or 2 year of ACGME training, would it make your application more competitve for a field like IM or FM?

And wouldnt they ask you that why did you do psych first and why not IM, would it be a red flag or something ?

Also what will be the possibillites of transfering out to a dually accredited Med/Pscyh program, Any suggestions?

But after doing 1 or 2 year of ACGME training, would it make your application more competitve for a field like IM or FM?

And wouldnt they ask you that why did you do psych first and why not IM, would it be a red flag or something ?

Also what will be the possibillites of transfering out to a dually accredited Med/Pscyh program, Any suggestions?
And now we understand the real question you were asking. Which appears to be, "I don't think I can get into an IM program so I'm going to do psych and then hope I can apply later, will this work?" The answer to this question is "not really". Two years of psych will not in any way make you more competitive to get into another specialty except insofar as you can get exposure to the other specialty at your hospital and get them to take you. Psych requires 6 months of IM in the intern year. So if you impress them, you might be able to get a spot outside the Match at that particular IM program.

Actually doing 1-2 years of psych first may make you LESS competitive. So if you want IM and can swing it, go for IM. Using psych as a backdoor into IM is not the best approach... although I guess it could be done