I'm sad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xavier2000

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just needed to vent. Sorry in advance. Looking for sympathy.

Admitted 40s M with schizoaffective do. His med list from the midlevel provider outpatient: Trinza, Seroquel, Abilify, Rexulti - all at healthy Christian doses. If that was not enough, also takes Adderall, Elavil, and a squirt of Requip. I thought he was pulling my leg when he reported that. Sure enough med rec came back spot on. to his report. I feel sorry that he is going to have a few days of not knowing if he is coming or going as he goes on a drug diet. I can't imagine the testicular fortitude necessary for the midlevel to actually write for all of these and for pharmacy to actually fill them. Guess I picked a bad week to quit drinking.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
The good news is that you recognize how ridiculous his med list was and can get him on a reasonable treatment plan. There are plenty of terrible prescribers out there, but there's also many who recognize those awful plans and can get patients on the right track. Keep being that psychiatrist and realize that you actually are able to do a lot of good for those patients.

Reactions: 6 users
I just needed to vent. Sorry in advance. Looking for sympathy.

Admitted 40s M with schizoaffective do. His med list from the midlevel provider outpatient: Trinza, Seroquel, Abilify, Rexulti - all at healthy Christian doses. If that was not enough, also takes Adderall, Elavil, and a squirt of Requip. I thought he was pulling my leg when he reported that. Sure enough med rec came back spot on. to his report. I feel sorry that he is going to have a few days of not knowing if he is coming or going as he goes on a drug diet. I can't imagine the testicular fortitude necessary for the midlevel to actually write for all of these and for pharmacy to actually fill them. Guess I picked a bad week to quit drinking.

Ah see great reminder for everyone out there who thinks they're doing a bad job...someone's always doing it worse.

Poor guy doesn't have a dopamine receptor left in his body that isn't occupied in some way. Also what insurance company approved Abilify AND Rexulti at the same time? I can barely get them to cover it at all lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Inpatient is the right place to do a medication trim. Don't be sad! He's in the right place and you can help him! Don't forget to reach out to the NP or PA at discharge and discuss what medication choices you end up making. You can help spread some knowledge too.

Reactions: 1 users
You are sad. Might I suggest a little Viibryyyyiiiiiid?

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
I don't think I could talk to their midlevel. I would probably get charged with terroristic threats. My idea was to make them take half of what they were prescribing.

I haven’t seen anything this bad before..wow

Also lol I totally missed the Requip when I first read this.

This NP what a *****.
I love to give the analogy of doing a tug of war on your brain. Which side is winning? By now his brain is like - what dopamine receptors? Let's increase dopamine - no lets reduce its activity. I don't know what I want.

Reactions: 1 user
I remember during med school and intern year, how a lot of the call rooms / resident lounges etc had a whiteboard with all time records posted. You know the super exciting medical stuff like an ESR of 43 or an A1c of 22% or something. Maybe psychiatry should start having contests of "craziest regimens you've seen."

I've seen some crazy regimens but OP's definitely has me beat!!