I'm scared of college next year.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FuturepharmD343

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay, right now I am talking about the course load.

I am a senior right now in high school. My school goes by block scheduling. I just finished first semester.
those classes were:
italian 4 honors
phys. ed
AP lit (1/2)
AP chem (1/2)

I did well in all of them but I think the final exams weren't too good...I studied but I just couldn't get enough sleep + big exams make me really nervous

Next semester I'll be taking:
business economics
calculus
AP chem
AP lit

I am sure I'll do fine in all of them. My current gpa is a 3.64/4.0 which is going up as soon as I get my final grades for the classes I just took exams for.

I am ranked 25/160 in my grade.

I am going to be doing a 6 year pharmacy track. I am just worried that the classes will be really really difficult and I won't have time to study for all of them.

How do you guys feel about college? Is it studying All THE TIME?

Sometimes I feel that since I have class for 80 minutes every day, and it won't be like that in college, things will be different.

I have an A in AP chemistry.
 
Last edited:
Its all about budgeting your time, and its not studying 24/7 if you do that! Yes, the classes are harder, but you will be smarter.

Take a deep breath, you'll be fine 🙂
 
It's not as bad as you think it will be, really. You'll have so much less actual in-class time in college that even with studying outside of and attending class you'll have plenty of free time to do whatever you want. This will decrease as you move up in course difficulty or take more courses at once, but in general I can all but guarantee you'll like the academic structure of college a lot better than high school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You have a lot of time to study and you can pick your classes at whenever time you want so there is so much flexibility that most likely will make you feel comfortable.

Not too bad. I left high school at 16 and attended college full-time. I was the same way as you, but then i quickly realized that it's not that bad.


And yes most of your time will be studying.
 
I study more than in high school but I spend less time doing work than in high school...does that make sense? If the average college student still spent from 8:00am-3:00pm either taking classes or studying every day alone (the times most high school kids are in class), they would do extremely well in most of their classes.

Most days I literally only have 3 hours of class...that leaves me 13 waking hours to get my studying and assignments done. Not to mention I won't have class again until the day after next or longer...that's freaking awesome.
 
I'm not sure if you know this, but they don't just throw you into the gauntlet right off the bat in 6 year PharmD programs. It's not like you'll be taking Advanced Pharmacokinetics or whatever during your first semester. You'll start out in your run of the mill intro Bio, intro Chem, etc. classes which probably won't be too hard for you considering your performance in AP chem. Chill out, and remember: P = PharmD.
 
It probably depends how many AP's you took in HS and what college major you have/extracurricular obligations. I found college to be slightly more difficult than HS but my HS was pretty difficult.

In med school (first year), I calculate about 40% more time spent studying/in class than in college. It should get busier...:scared:

College: it's like high school, but awesomer.
 
How do you guys feel about college? Is it studying All THE TIME?

No. I'm not doing a combined program, but it's obviously going to include a decent amount of true "college" -- not just the PharmD course load.

Everyone's different, but for what it's worth, my hardest semester in college pales in comparison to medical school. I'm sure pharmacy is difficult as well, but in the meantime, relax and don't sweat it. One step at a time.
 
Hah! don't worry about it. In college you have plenty of free time. I have class 3 hours a day MWF and 1 class on TTH. The only time consuming class is lab(labs suck), and philosophy(i have ~20page take-home test due soon).
Depending on your ability to memorize, if you're a science major, you have plenty of free time. I probably study 4-5 hours a week, and I have around a 3.6(neuroscience major).
Your time in college is filled with extracurricular activities(well, they should be). On an average day I have around 3 meetings(whether it's fraternity business, random club meeting, or some other random thing), and it's all stuff you like to do.
So don't be fearful, but instead: Be exited; college is the best time of your life 🙂
 
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]that's where TIME MANAGEMENT comes in. College isn't studying all the time. In fact, I've been joining in several extra-curricular activities during my college days, and I didn't feel any stress. You must know how to budget your time, and enjoy!.