SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

I'm sorry, but...

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by cyrille104, Apr 13, 2007.

1. cyrille104

cyrille104 2+ Year Member

Jul 14, 2006
    I've been reading the pre-med board lately, and whoever said they're supportive of each other needs to take another look at the board. Really, every single thread is a fight with personal insults. Even when they help each other, it's very short and condescending. This forum is a much better community.

Take a look:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=10

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. thesonofdarwin

thesonofdarwin UPenn 2012 2+ Year Member

Sep 17, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Agree 100%. I'm not sure how anyone who has even glanced at their forum can consider them supportive of each other. After finding this site (Vet Sub-Forum) and seeing how nice everyone was to each other, I sent my Pre-Med girlfriend the link so she could talk with other Pre-Meds. Needless to say she hasn't been back. I took a look after she said how nasty they were to each other and was unpleasantly surprised. Seems the nice ones there get preyed upon quickly too.

And I know I read on the Vet section recently someone said how mean WE were to each other compared to the Allos! :eek: :eek:

4. Pennymare

Pennymare Ohio State Class of 2011 2+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Aww, Cyrille,

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside :D

5. ri23

ri23 OSU CVM Class of 2011 7+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2006
    I agree ... the pre-allo forum has members that are constantly bickering. I'm always amazed at how nice the pre-vet folks are. I have read a few times people that referred each other to the pre-allo forum and I have rolled my eyes. If they got some of the topics that we have received here in the last few weeks, they would absolutely have attacked the threads.

6. wildfocus

wildfocus DVM/PhD student 5+ Year Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Rocky Mountain High
    yeah - something that we all *might* agree on.... actually, my best friend is a 4th year medical student at one of the best med schools in the land. she is smart (obviously), extremely dedicated, idealistic (meaning not in it for the money), very mature, kind, AND totally doesn't fit in with most of her class. i've seen her struggle with this the whole time. the egos she has to deal with seem so inflated, and they are still students!! also, she is a lesbian, and, despite being in a liberal city, encouters so much animosity from her fellow classmates. i'm encouraged (most of the time) by this community, and hope vet school is the same.

7. hoodle

hoodle UC-Davis DVM/PhD 2+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Davis
    So Cyrille et al, do you think the differing community warm-and-fuzzy sense between pre-allo and pre-vet is due to
    a) wonderful people are attracted to vet school, aren't we all pleasantly fantastic (converse of this is that more jerks are premed)

b) greater traffic on the premed board = greater density of people = bigger tempers, more anonymity, etc etc; if the prevet board had people with multi-thousands of posts and a constant stream of hundreds of lurkers, we'd be pissy and aggressive as well.

I love soc/anth discussions for brief periods of time... :)

8. ri23

ri23 OSU CVM Class of 2011 7+ Year Member

Nov 28, 2006
    I think it has a lot to do with the fact that because the pre-med board has a lot of traffic, those seeking to ignite a fight are drawn to the high traffic. Also, they get so many repetitive posts that I would be annoyed too. If most of their new members took five minutes to look through some of the old thread topics or stickied they would find their answers. Pre-vet has gotten some questions that could be avoided if people took a little time to do some research, but we don't get nearly as many, making them slightly more tolerable.

edit: 200th post, now if i could only get up to the 1000s of posts the pre-allo people have

9. Emio

Emio Fudge Bane 7+ Year Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Columbus
    i'd be pissy too if every surrounded their thread titles with *~*<3*~*!!**ILUVFUZYPOODLES*~*~*~!!eleven*~*. i've been there. i've seen it.

seriously though, i think a) pre vets are inclined towards helping, but what makes them different is b) who theyre helping; being the one to be the advocate for a nonhominid speechless client takes a certain personality.

not to mention animal people are just cooler anyway.

haven't we all learned that getting mad at an animal doesn't solve jack? especially all us horse people ;)

10. KittenKiller

KittenKiller chop suey 7+ Year Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Kennett Square, PA
    Yeah, its pretty unfortunate. I switched from bio to history major freshman year in big part because I couldnt stand all the crazy competitive premeds in the bio major. It made me scared thinking what kind of people lose the war of attrition in the medical profession and which ones win. Yes I prefer a smart doctor, but I prefer a compassionate one to a power obsessed one too! I think doctors should get paid less and we'll see who goes into that profession now :p

prevet <3

and lol emio I was afraid of those people when I first thought about being a vet.

11. wivet2011

wivet2011 2+ Year Member

Mar 9, 2007
    hehehe... scary over there isn't it! I don't get the *~*thread titles*~* either!

12. Angie09

Angie09 Penn c/o 2012 5+ Year Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Thanks, Emily. I just spit Pepsi all over my computer monitor. :)

13. JIKJen124

JIKJen124 5+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Single greatest lesson learned from 15 years of show hunters...

14. cyrille104

Jul 14, 2006
  15. RazorDoc2010

RazorDoc2010 Mizzou 2011 2+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Missouri
  16. Max Power

Max Power 2+ Year Member

Feb 23, 2007
    wow we're so much cooler than they are....

even my tuskegee interviewer said so of the difference between vets and md's

the best doctor pickup line??? how about a bank statement...that's really all most of them got going for themselves

17. philomycus

philomycus The Tree Rat 7+ Year Member

Aug 21, 2006
    In an oak tree...
    We could start to post on their boards over there just to piss 'em off and be all sweet and lovey :love:

18. kate_g

kate_g Senior Member 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2006
    I have to say, as universally horrible as pre-meds seem to be, actually getting through the admissions process and then becoming physicians seems to weed out a lot of the worst. Y'all should go check out the EM forum some time, there's quite a lot of exchange of information, genuine support, and a notable lack of immaturity in both thread titles and content. And there's a lot of darned funny stuff there - I think EM and vet med attract similar personality profiles what with the need for adaptability and basically being able to handle anything from a nail trim to a pneumothorax on a moment's notice.

19. cyrille104

Jul 14, 2006
    I was thinking about posting a gender and sexual preference poll and having all of us vote as gay men just to see what they say

20. JIKJen124

JIKJen124 5+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I just stumbled upon the mentoring forum. I think it would be great if we (pre-vet/vet students) could rope some mentors into helping out so we could get a thread going. Not only would it help get some of those "20 questions" answered more consistantly, but also get some advice on those "stressed out applicant" questions from the professionals.
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=222

If you know anybody that might be willing to contribute, please consider asking them, per the call for mentors - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=387154

21. Chulito

Chulito El feucho 5+ Year Member

Oct 22, 2006
    1) Hey, now! :mad: No fair spying on us, then maligning us behind our backs.

Actually it's OK. A morbid sense of fun while watching watch pre-meds duke it out over there is kind of like the Romans watching gladiators or my dad watching Cops, I suppose.

2) So, I'm heading towards EM myself, or perhaps IM/Peds--generalist specialties. Does that mean that I can hang out with the vets? :cool:

22. philomycus

philomycus The Tree Rat 7+ Year Member

Aug 21, 2006
    In an oak tree...
    Yes, you can hang out over here. I'm sure vets throw better parties too !

Muhaha ! :D

23. wildfocus

wildfocus DVM/PhD student 5+ Year Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Rocky Mountain High
    i'm in...

24. Tsuki

Tsuki UTK CVM Class of 2011 2+ Year Member

May 5, 2006
    NY --> TN
    :laugh:

You should also have this choice:

"I am male, and I like men/women/everyone. I also occasionally dress as a woman."

25. kate_g

kate_g Senior Member 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2006
    :D I've met my share of non-horrible premeds. But ask a non-premed bio major at *any* college anywhere in the country what they think of the premeds and you'll get "Oh god...:rolleyes:" ...A stereotype that pervasive can't be without a solid grain of truth. (Though I really do think it's the system you're dealing with that forces a lot of the worst premed behavior and attitudes. Probably why most of you become normal people again once you actually earn the degree...)

I'm not going to pretend I speak for everyone, but I'd certainly welcome a physician-to-be with a good generalist attitude to hang with us. You've got some of us lurking over there on the EM board and even sneaking in a post now and again, so fair's fair.

26. eventualeventer

eventualeventer Medical Tire Fire 10+ Year Member

Mar 10, 2007
    All righty, where's the poll?