I'm terrified to write my essay.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xx6xx12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been volunteering in a Rehab center since I was pretty young. I love the profession but for whatever reason I don't know how to tackle this essay. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you love the profession? The answers to that question are going to be your supporting points. If you're talking about the PTCAS essay just start writing as though one of your friends/family members asked you why you are choosing physical therapy. Don't worry about making your response short enough to meet the requirement...I find that that sometimes limits my thinking. Write everything you want to and then shorten it from there. Before you submit anything have a few people read and critique it not only for grammar but to see that you thoroughly answered the question. I would suggest one of those people be a PT you know or someone that has been accepted into a program.

Hope this helps!

Someone in the same position as me! I love working as a physical therapy aide but I have a hard time starting the essay.

sooners12 - good way of putting it. Maybe i'll just start writing whatever comes to mind and then pick out parts that I feel I can use for the actual essay.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused on how to write this essay too! Well, I don't know if I should be approaching this in a typical way of "I like helping people" or a personal narrative on my injury & how I got motivated. I feel like either situation seems repetitive... ?

I'm confused on how to write this essay too! Well, I don't know if I should be approaching this in a typical way of "I like helping people" or a personal narrative on my injury & how I got motivated. I feel like either situation seems repetitive... ?
Don't just say you like helping people...most human beings like helping people :) There are thousands of jobs which allow you to help people. Be specific in describing what led you to pick this career.

Reactions: 1 user
Just start writing, I had several revised drafts before I got the final product
(like 6!). You will want to get others to read it also I would focus on the process and dont give too much of a timeline of your choices up to PT.

whatever you do don't say "i like helping people" or "i was an athlete and got pt so I want to be a pt". Those are both the most overused and boring responses in the history of pt mankind. Use specific examples of things you observed and/or how the pt worked with an especially difficult patient. Show that you've been immersed in the profession at least on some level and know a more in depth "why" answer. good luck.

Hi, I have been reading this forum for some time and this is my first post! I am applying this cycle for 2014 admission. Like you, I was also terrified to write my essay, mostly because I am not confident about my writing skills. I started writing bullet points of what I like about the DPT profession and any extraordinary observations. It was essentially verbal diarrhea. Try it, don't worry about making it perfect. Later you can organize your thoughts, refine, and ask people to look over it. Good luck!

Try thinking of one or two specific people or events that influenced you to choose PT over another health care career. For example, I have been working as an aquatic aide for kids with special needs for the past 3 years so I wrote about an inspirational 17 year old boy who introduced me to the world of disabilities and the struggles he faces every day.

Also, just to reiterate, definitely do NOT write about "wanting to help people." Doctors help people, so why not MD? Try to think of where PTs fall in the "timeline" - i.e. maybe a person gets injured and sees a physician, who prescribe them pain medication and refers them to a pt. What about being this "last step" appeals to you? Is it your interest in health and fitness? Wanting to assist people in functioning at their highest ability, etc?

Just some things to think about :)