IM to Neuro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDpride

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it possible to switch from IM to Neuro residency after PGY-1 ?
what are the chances of getting neuro spot then?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes it is possible. You need to find a program with an open spot, and you will need to have a good reason for switching. It will be very helpful if you have a good relationship with your current internal medicine department, and they are willing to let you go, as you will likely need a recommendation letter from the residency director.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it is possible. You need to find a program with an open spot, and you will need to have a good reason for switching. It will be very helpful if you have a good relationship with your current internal medicine department, and they are willing to let you go, as you will likely need a recommendation letter from the residency director.
I second this. Technically you're supposed to only be bound to the first year of residency, but I know of one case where a person was forced to finish his PGY2 medicine year before being released to start neurology. I don't know the specifics of how they managed to do this, but I suspect that the program director wasn't going to sign off on a completed internship.

I like both IM and neuro I shadowed both b4 med school.

I am about to take step 1 in June 2012. I am going to a school in the carribean. I wanted to got into med school bcos I wanted to go into IM/Neuro. I need advice from some one what to do I just bought "The Successful Match: 200 Rules to Succeed in the Residency Match by Rajani K" so that I can tailor myself to get into IM/Neuro and how to match in IM/Neuro. Does anyone have any advice to help me out? How competitive is it? What should I do in my IM rotation and my Neuro elective rotation? Any advice at this point will help. I am US citizen so I do not have to worry about J1.