I'm ugly and look young for my age...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Makeup, curling iron, hairspray, pointy high heels (biggest confidence booster ever in my book), spray tan, falsies if needed, more hairspray, dark red lipstick (not bright red), well fitting suit...and voila! +5 years.

If she has big confidence issues, all of that won't help. It's like the putting lipstick on a pig analogy(not saying OP is a pig :/)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OP, I agree that your assessment of yourself is probably over exaggerated. Just dress appropriately (look at the Women's Interview Clothing thread) and look presentable. Wear a suit and shoes that you can feel comfortable in - the point is to look smooth and natural and ace the interview with your credentials and personality and looks won't matter. Don't wear uncomfortable shoes (if you don't know how to walk in heels, go for the flats - stumbling along is not exactly presentable). Also, most of the girls at my interview wore flats and even the ones wearing shorter heels had visible blisters (which looked painful). There's a lot of advice on the internet on how to dress and present yourself appropriately.

If you want to wear makeup, keep it to a minimal amount. Go to a makeup counter at the mall and ask for advice if you want to use makeup to make yourself look older. There are also a bunch of "makeup gurus" on Youtube that you can watch.

I also look very young for my age (and I'm short) - people are repeatedly surprised that I'm not in high school and when they find out I'm pre-med, they ask me if I'm considering pediatrics. I figured that looking young is just who I am - I just presented myself as professionally (and happy!) as I could during the interview and hope it works for me.

Good luck, OP! :luck:
 
Presentation is definitely important for interviews, but not in the way you might think it is. It is only important that you look professional, not that you look like a bombshell. Some of the other posters here gave you good advice, so I won't repeat that but I will add the following five suggestions: (1) If you get falsh eyelashes, get the short ones (especially if you wear glasses). You do not want to look like "Happy Halloween!" if you get my drift. (2) Makeup counter ladies will let you leave the store looking a mess and carrying a bag full of awful if you let them. Emphasize that you are looking for makeup appropriate for a med school interview and tell them that you want to use "nude" shades. A bit of shimmer in your eyeshadow or blush is okay as long as it is not super noticeable. Although I love MAC to pieces, I highly recommend Clinique for job interview shades because their palette is generally more muted than MAC and their employees seem to sport a "less is more" makeup application so they probably will understand what you need. You can also experiment with drugstore shades but I don't recommend this as the pigments in their eyeshadows seem not to last as long. (3) Take care of your skin! Clinique has excellent products for this too. (4) Take care of your teeth! Appearancewise, nothing is as disarming as a nice smile. (5) Regarding attracting men, change steps 1 and 2 by stepping your game up one or two levels (meaning tear the MAC counter DOWN and get the Marilyn Monroe lashes....just kidding, you should probably put half of the counter back up 🙂). At this point, you will want to attract attention and enhance your best attributes more (e.g. eyes, mouth). Your homework: Google "celebrities without makeup". The only true beauty is inside, and everyone can have that beauty if they work for it!
 
Chin up, OP! Looks will not hold you back but low self-esteem will. Very few applicants could actually be models, and your interviews will not be a popularity contest. If you can advocate for yourself clearly and confidently, that is much more valuable then being "pretty."

I agree with the advice given above: consult some experts and figure out what works best for you in terms of professional-looking make-up and clothes. Take a trusted friend or family member with you when you shop for suits so you know that you look good. Practice walking in heels.

You can do this! Don't defeat yourself before you've even tried!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Chin up, OP! Looks will not hold you back but low self-esteem will. Very few applicants could actually be models, and your interviews will not be a popularity contest. If you can advocate for yourself clearly and confidently, that is much more valuable then being "pretty."

I agree with the advice given above: consult some experts and figure out what works best for you in terms of professional-looking make-up and clothes. Take a trusted friend or family member with you when you shop for suits so you know that you look good. Practice walking in heels.https://rnrsweetdeals.newsreview.com/

You can do this! Don't defeat yourself before you've even tried!

This.

Med schools don't accept based on looks, interviewers do not care.

Here's the truth.

Med students as a whole while fit and usually dressed well, aren't very good looking. They may appear that way because so few are overweight and they tend to be young perfectionists who take an interest in how they appear to others.

That doesn't change the fact that most are still ugly. I include myself in this description.

Whatever, it's 2012 or 2013 and over half the country is overweight. Just being under 30 and fit qualifies for "attractive" these days.

Someone put a picture of a random med school class photo and prove my point. I bet you're not ugly at all, very few people who call themselves ugly actually are.
 

That story is just incredibly sad. So he says he feel in love with her? Not her as a person, not her soul. What a schmuck. He's a schmuck about his own kid too. Wait till she hears about this one day in her future. It should do wonders for her.

This says to me no one should get plastic surgery until after they met someone that loves them for them--their mind, soul, spirit. I mean sure. You agree to a date and go out based on looks. Other chemical factors are a part of this whole process; but at the end of the day, you marry someone for who they really are--the real them. Should she have told him? Sure, why not. But either way, the test of superficial and pleasing physical symmetry appears to be what he really wanted for himself and his progeny. I mean I get the biology of it. But to trash a marriage over. That's beyond lame. I don't know. At least here should could appeal. Don't know about over there.
 
Honestly, I think this is kind of sad. I'm not going to troll and I'm not going to be mean. Read advices, so this is going to be LONG (*warning* I write a lot). I'm a very open person, so I will give you advice with anecdotes to back up my reasoning, no hard data because life is not a bunch of numbers.

First of all, hun, I don't see why you need to find a man in medical school. Two doctors? If you're worried about having kids, worry about the kids who will rarely see their parents because the parents are both studying, or at work late at night, life of a doctors IS NOT glamorous. My uncle is a doctor and his baby doesn't see him a lot, as hard as he tries. She is basically attached to her daddy when he is home on weekends because she misses him. My uncle is a radiologist, known for having some of the best and most family friendly hours. Think about that.

On the other side, you will both have such similar jobs and similar interests, it'll get boring, fast. I had imagined marrying a guy in medical school for years (since high school actually) I'm a junior now, and my mindset has totally changed, I've dated two guys who are now in med school (freshman-senior, then sophomore-senior ), and I can honestly say they were great men, wonderful, and one day they'll make some women very happy as fathers and husbands, but we got bored of eachother after a month, our interests were so similar academically, and we were both so academically focused to get into med school... by the end (each relationship lasted 2-3 months) there was little more than sex keeping our us together. Very sad life, and I cannot imagine a future like that.
My current boyfriend is an econ/polisci double major and art history minor, wants to go to law school to take over his uncle's firm eventually. It's hard to get more opposite than that. We've been together for nearly 3 months and are still interested in eachother, still having fun, not bored.

I'm not telling you to go find the most opposite guy and date him, but keep your options open, don't automatically dismiss someone because they're not a premed or not in medschool, and don't dismiss them because they are on the same path as you. Keep an open mind, open heart, and that way you'll find happiness.

Now about this "ugly" business. That's just dumb. Confidence, have confidence as many many people have said. Confidence will override any "ugly" characteristics you think you have. also, wear make up, or maybe if you think you put it on badly, watch you tube videos (i recommend the ones from the user pixiwoo, they're very good) and it'll teach you, cover up anything you think is ugly. Make up is a great confidence booster, We're talking confidence here, it's the most important thing.
Wear something red, wear heels (if you can't walk in them, learn to). What ever you have to do to feel pretty (and therefore feel confident), do it. just stop telling yourself you're ugly because that's not helping anyone, espeicaly not you.
 
OP, if possible, post your baby and childhood pics as well. This way we can do a healthy evaluation of your morphological changes. As social context may play a role in your phenotype, a link to your (unlocked) Facebook page would also be appreciated.