Im using Dr. Collins for reading comprehension

Started by Bill115
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

imho i think that to do reading comprehension u need a plan and u can take on any rc passage. I have done a few using the strat I made and it has worked for every one
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
well it depends on the person's strengths and weakness for reading to make a strategy. For me personally I don't like huge reading passages. So when I see multiple long reading passages I start reading and make a small 1 sentence summary for each paragraph writing important things such as people's names, chemicals or theories. I do it for every paragraph and it helps make it more simple instead of reading the whole passage because it works like a road map for me. When I go to the questions I can usually answer the generalized questions first. Then use my road map to find the specific questions or the ones I couldn't remember off the top of my head .
In terms of time, making mini summaries of each paragraph helps me stay focus so I cut down the time of having to read the same paragraphs over cause I forgot what the other paragraphs were talking about and it has proved to be helpful in reducing the time of going back and trying to remember where in the passage the answer is. So in general my time has been good. usually takes about 6-7 min per passage. Never had problems with time once I got the process going
 
Thats a great strategy!!!!! Kaplan suggests to make a map somewhat like what your doing. I choose not to use Dr. Collins for this section because it was extremely easy!!!! I was done with reading the passages and answering the questions in less than 8 minutes for each one and getting all right or 1 or 2 wrong answers. I am going to use Kaplan, Crack the Pcat, Barrons and the pearson tests.