IM vs. Anesthesia Application Woes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eudjinn

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My situation:

I am still undecided between applying for anesthesia and/or IM. I am on an anesthesia elective now and I'm not "loving" it enough to be sure that it is for sure what I want to do. My 3rd year medicine core left me lukewarm, but I feel as though it had to do a lot with the hospital. I have a university program sub/i lined up to begin in about 2 weeks so I hope to have some sort of epiphone at that point, but I'm not counting on it.

I know I don't want to do peds, psych, surgery, radiology, family, EM or anything else really so I kind of narrowed it down to these two.

What would you do in my shoes? Just apply now to both? Apply IM now and add anesthesia if I hate IM in 2 weeks? Money is not a factor. I just want to be happy. If I apply both now, should I apply categorical and prelim for each of my hospitals?

Sorry for long post and thank you for the advice.

PS: DO student applying allopathic only. Took USMLE 1 (227/98) and 2 (score not received yet).

Members don't see this ad.

IM. Worst case scenario, you decide Gas is really what you love, you apply during intern year and go from there.

Thanks for your quick reply. So to be clear, if I am in an IM categorical position I can still apply anesthesia and switch over if I absolutely know it's what I want to do?

PS: I love talking to patients and I actually enjoy rounding as long as it's not forever...I know it seems like I'm pushing myself toward IM, but I'm not sure if part of that involves the fact that there are many fellowship options and I'm "bound to like something" that will suit my need for income/lifestyle

Thanks for your quick reply. So to be clear, if I am in an IM categorical position I can still apply anesthesia and switch over if I absolutely know it's what I want to do?

It's not the best way to go but people do it all the time and if you have a decent PD, they should support you. There's not really any upside to having a miserable resident in your program.

PS: I love talking to patients and I actually enjoy rounding as long as it's not forever...I know it seems like I'm pushing myself toward IM, but I'm not sure if part of that involves the fact that there are many fellowship options and I'm "bound to like something" that will suit my need for income/lifestyle

I personally think the gas "lifestyle" is pretty crappy. Lots of call which tends to be very busy, super early start to the day. Pay is good for now. If you love it, that won't be an issue but if it's just something you sort of like, you'll be miserable.