IM vs ER?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Drchocodanish

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys/gals: IMG hoping to match US but I have Canadian citizenship: a step I of 249; hoping to get IM or ER. My application is otherwise unremarkable(some associations random stuff really). Could anyone give me their opinion on my shot at either residency. I also ask people who have matched to either one with similar stats on what I should do. Im also realistic in the fact that ER is getting more and more competitive.

Thank you in advance !
 
Hey guys/gals: IMG hoping to match US but I have Canadian citizenship: a step I of 249; hoping to get IM or ER. My application is otherwise unremarkable(some associations random stuff really). Could anyone give me their opinion on my shot at either residency. I also ask people who have matched to either one with similar stats on what I should do. Im also realistic in the fact that ER is getting more and more competitive.

Thank you in advance !
Blunt truth: I had a few friends who are Canadian [as am I] who had higher stats and only got 2 ER IV. [there apps were solid]
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ER is not a specialty. Neither is "OR" or "clinic".

Blunt truth: I had a few friends who are Canadian [as am I] who had higher stats and only got 2 ER IV. [there apps were solid]

I have no ****ing clue what either of you said or their relation to this thread.

Hey guys/gals: IMG hoping to match US but I have Canadian citizenship: a step I of 249; hoping to get IM or ER. My application is otherwise unremarkable(some associations random stuff really). Could anyone give me their opinion on my shot at either residency. I also ask people who have matched to either one with similar stats on what I should do. Im also realistic in the fact that ER is getting more and more competitive.

Thank you in advance !

Start here: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf
 
Without data to confirm this, I suspect your chances of matching IM are higher. I feel like there is much more variability in IM programs than EM programs; there are IM programs that are of similar competitiveness to exceptionally competitive specialties and then there are bottom of the barrel residencies.

EM I feel doesn't have the variabilitty therefore it would be a bit harder.

But I think the real question is what do you really want to do?