Im worried about college UNO

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

metalhead1023

High School Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I'm confused on what college I want to goto because of course I want to be a doctor but I want to major is stringed instruments and music theory. Well the problem is the college I'm looking at I don't know if its that good to get into medical school. Its the University of Nebraska Omaha. Its the only close college that offers those majors.
 
Well I'm confused on what college I want to goto because of course I want to be a doctor but I want to major is stringed instruments and music theory. Well the problem is the college I'm looking at I don't know if its that good to get into medical school. Its the University of Nebraska Omaha. Its the only close college that offers those majors.

I don't know about med specifically, but UNO seems like a decent enough school. I know that most of the UNMC professional students (at least the ones I work with) do their professional electives there so they don't have to go to Lincoln to do them.

In general, I would advise you to do the music theory at UNO if that is what you want, the uniqueness of that program of study may mitigate the effects of the strength of school.

Then again, I am sure that in med, it depends on what professional school you want to go to.

Good luck.
 
I don't know about the specific majors, but I know there are numerous schools where you could pursue an interest in music (specifically stringed instruments) that would also give you the options to pursue your basic science requirements.

I wouldn't necessarily limit your options to close to home (esp if you live in Nebraska). You'll want to branch out and sometimes you'll need to travel to find the best fit.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I'm confused on what college I want to goto because of course I want to be a doctor but I want to major is stringed instruments and music theory. Well the problem is the college I'm looking at I don't know if its that good to get into medical school. Its the University of Nebraska Omaha. Its the only close college that offers those majors.

Go for it. You should do what you want in college... not what you think med school will want. You're in high school... might want something completely different like an engineer in a few years... don't want to make a choice of school based on medical school when you aren't 100%!
 
Do you want to stay close to home?

If not, some suggestions for a good string school at a good school for premeds:

Rice University in Texas and the Shepherd School of Music
Case Western Reserve University - their music department has what is essentially a joint program with the Cleveland Institute of Music
Ohio State University
University of Iowa
I think Yale has a good music department
Indiana University

Those are just a few. I don't know too many in the Nebraska area. If you go to a respectable college that prepares you well for the MCAT, get some quality letters of rec, and have a good resume, you'll get into medical school. As much as some people who go to the Harvards and the MITs would like to think the name makes a HUGE difference, it's certainly not a requirement for acceptance to medical school. But if you are willing to go to school further from home and would like a strong university with a strong string program, you might look into some of the ones I listed above.