I'm worried about my science classes!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Wannabee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always made As and I have a 4.0 after 1 1/2 years of school. I've put off the science classes long enough and now it's time to bite the bullet. Is there a correlation between success in other subjects and success in science? I'm worried that the reason I've done well so far is because I've taken classes that are easy for me (English, History, Psychology) Someone respond and tell me I'm not in for a rude awakening. Is the path to success in the sciences the same as in the humanities? ie 1. Take good notes. 2. Study. 3. Ask for help if you need it.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr Wannabee said:
I've always made As and I have a 4.0 after 1 1/2 years of school. I've put off the science classes long enough and now it's time to bite the bullet. Is there a correlation between success in other subjects and success in science? I'm worried that the reason I've done well so far is because I've taken classes that are easy for me (English, History, Psychology) Someone respond and tell me I'm not in for a rude awakening. Is the path to success in the sciences the same as in the humanities? ie 1. Take good notes. 2. Study. 3. Ask for help if you need it.

i think for the more conceptual sciences it is pretty much the same, but more the more math based scicence (chem, physics) it takes more practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr Wannabee said:

Those same priciples will do very well for you in your science classes as they would any other. Of course you will have to work harder in classes that come less easy to you than the ones you are naturally good at (its funny how many people are intimidated by science classes yet many science majors have trouble in non science). I wouldn't concern myself with any coorelations because you can defy them in any case, but if there was one I would imagine that good students tend to do well in all classes so if you are getting A's in everything esle you are more likely to do well in science than most.

What's important is the work ethic you've developed in the mean time. It was probably a wise move to wait until now to do your prerequisite courses because you've worked on time management skills and you have your priorities in line. Like the other posters have said, just put in the work and you'll do great. Do problems over and over until you've mastered them.
Flash cards, solutions manuals, etc.

Good luck!

I don't know hard facts about correlations between science and non-science grades, but I DO know there's a correlation between effort/ focus and science grades. I had no effort/ focus in my freshman science classes (or any, but luckily I could bs very well for history/ psych)
- I never had to study in high school, and never had my parents pushing me to study all the time to make them proud (boohoo for me? :p), and consequently my first semester science grades are still haunting me (I'm retaking calculus now & I'm outta school, because I FINALLY developed some good studying habits that I didn't have my first year).

I was at early voting yesterday and ran into a girl who is a 1st year at my alma mater. We started some nostalgia about the good old hs days of no studying, and I revealed how on my first college test (chemistry) I was so proud of the fact that I had studies *3 whole hours* the night before (more than ever before)... only to discover I'd earned a c on the actual exam. Yeah, I wish I'd developed more focus/ better habits before starting my science tract that semester. Luckily things got better... I think?

So don't worry too much about correlations, and just set up a study plan, utilize office hours, and start studying way early for exams. I know, for me at least, there was a correlation between going to office hours with cogent questions and getting A's in my science classes... correspondingly, all my upper division sci profs got to know me VERY well. :D