Shrami

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2004
88
0
Status
I am an international student in the US. I'll be starting my pre-med in the fall. I'm really worried that I won't even get into a medical school by the time I'm finished with undergrad. Should I find myself an American girlfriend to "marry" somewhere along the road - just to get a greencard, then call it quits soon afterward? Or should I persuade one of my parents to "marry" an American citizen. I know of African immigrants who pay trash-poor Americans a couple of thousands for a brief hand in marrige...to attain "papers" (citizenship/permanent residence).

I want to do my medicine in the US! I can't imagine myself anywhere else. How are my chances of being accepted if I am not a citizen/permanent resident? I've already gone through a gruesome process finding a place for undergrad as a poor international. As a result of not being a citizen, I will end up going to the college that was last of all my choices. I don't want that to happen again after undergrad. How can I get some quick status? How did you guys (noncitizens) deal with it?

I guess it's good to be worried early when there is still time rather than to be stranded at the last minute. What do you say I should do? Medical school is my dream!!
 

Akscal

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 29, 2004
26
0
38
Visit site
Status
First, calm down. Be easy. Breathe. You will be alright. I would suggest that you dont "marry" someone, or try to attain papers illegally. I suggest you apply normally. It is better than doing something illegal, getting caught and getting deported or sent to federal prision. Apply to medical school, and pray. Apply to as many as you can afford. I am confident that if medical school is your dream, you will be successful. May God be with you.
 
About the Ads

lumanyika

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2000
274
0
43
Kansas City
www.Africawired.com
Status
DESPAIR NOT shrami, for I.....*cough**cough**cough* :sleep:


well, about 80% of internatnional student got through what you are talking about. things will work out if and only if you work hard at it. the rest of the 20% probably has financial advantages hence the group is not really struggling. Go to your school's library and look for scholarships and such. most financial Aid offices do not cater towards international students unless he/she is a PR. you said you are premed right? i'd advise you to go ask for scholarship info from your respective life and physical science departments. they usually have info the the financial aid office doesn't. heck that's how i managed to secure an EPA scholarship !

Oh! and the struggle eases during your junior year coz then, and only with good grades and initiative, you might be able to acquire better scholarships. remember as an int-student, you have to be stellar because you have to stand out among the rest. why you ask? well, i'll tell you my comrade it's because we are at the bottom of the "consideration list"...what list?
here it is:
1. in state resident (preferably american citizen)
2. out of state american citizen
3. PRs (in state and out of state)
4. international students

go the usnews website and go through most American medical schools' breakdown of the Accepted Vs Admitted international students into their respective programmes and you'll see how many international students are accounted for. it's discouraging, but i believe you can always manipulate your destiny by working/studying harder (i.e. raise the bar for yourself because everyone else will). you'll have time to relax one day.


Amani
 

freaker

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2004
853
22
Status
Your papers can be stripped from you if it is believed that you have married simply to acquire citizenship. This can and does happen. My guess is that after 9/11, this will be enforced even more vigilantly.

Good luck. God bless. And as others have said, if you're going to do this, make study a part of your life. Live it and breathe it.
 

lumanyika

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2000
274
0
43
Kansas City
www.Africawired.com
Status
freaker said:
Your papers can be stripped from you if it is believed that you have married simply to acquire citizenship. This can and does happen. My guess is that after 9/11, this will be enforced even more vigilantly.

Good luck. God bless. And as others have said, if you're going to do this, make study a part of your life. Live it and breathe it.
True,true.

I forgot to mention that you should apply for a work permit. it's not a hustle as most people think. find someone who applied and got one and ask them for their advise...it goes a long way.
:thumbup:
 
About the Ads