Images on Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doceasy24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey. Does anyone know if the images on the exam are the same or very similar to the images that Goljan uses in his slides?? Thanks!

Also, for those who have taken it, feedback on how best to prepare for the images is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

don't bother. studying pictures is unnecessary for path. they show pics of basic stuff that you come across in general studying or in question banks (hypersegmented neutrophils, target cell, spherocytes, polyp, kid with blue eyes, etc). i used goljan so his book had a lot of good pics. however, most of the pic questions can be answered by the question. just run through the FA pics in the back of the book the day before your test.

the only pics where it requires you to know anything specific are the anatomy questions. so know your xrays, MRIs, CTs, etc.

I agree with blz --- there's no need to go out of the way to look at pictures if you're doing QBank/UW. I actually had the same picture twice on my exam, and the two questions were asking very similar things.

I looked at Wheater's Histology, like skimming it very quickly (45-60min), the night before my test, and I had a few images that were similar. I think that scored me 1 or 2 questions. That was all the studying I did for histology.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think pathology images are relatively straightforward. It's not grading and staging tumors, it's more "Can you tell the difference between CIS and invasion?" and "What type of necrosis is this?"

the only pics where it requires you to know anything specific are the anatomy questions. so know your xrays, MRIs, CTs, etc.

What resources did you guys use to study CT's, xrays, and MRI's??

What resources did you guys use to study CT's, xrays, and MRI's??

blz's reply is inline with my own experience with USMLE. The radiology pics I had were secondary informaiton and did little to add to what I already knew from the quesition. There might have been 1 or 2 questions which the answer dawned on me when I saw the picture.

But if you want a good pathology atlas, Robbin's has a great atlas at a very reasonable price.

Thanks for all the help. I was mainly asking because Goljan keeps saying that "this exact slide" was on boards in his lectures, so I thought maybe his slides were really high yield or something.

after my exam i was really worried that i had failed. Soooo....i went to google images and typed in the answers that i thought the pic represented...

here is what surprised me....ALL of the pics where from e-medicine!!!!!!!! i had like 7 of them!!

Also, for those who have taken it, feedback on how best to prepare for the images is appreciated.
for my test, i would just echo some previous sentiments by saying the pics i had were almost totally superfluous. i'd say 75% of the questions could have been answered without an image. the other 25% are either classic examples or "wtf, i hope this is a trial question!!!" type questions. overall, though, there weren't really that many images on my test.