IMG and Plastic Surgery in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saturnfirefly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Is there any possibility for IMG's (educated in the UK) to apply for the integrated plastic surgery residency program? If so, how big is the possibility of getting in compared to American students?

And how about the alternative route, the one where you do 3 years residency in General Surgery and then go over to Plastic Surgery?

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

a

Last edited:
According to the official last year the percentage of IMG matching into plastic surgery was 0.3% and of their average USMLE Step 1 Score was 238. RIght now, general surgery residency at a less competitive institution is possible for you to attain.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a girl that used to be on here that matched in plastics somewhere in Chicago. She did F1 I think and a year of research in the US, step 1 and 2 were around 230 she said.

There is a girl that used to be on here that matched in plastics somewhere in Chicago. She did F1 I think and a year of research in the US, step 1 and 2 were around 230 she said.

Obtaining an integrated PRS spot (as an IMG) is VERY difficult but not impossible. If you're set on your career choice, you should try. Having USCE, U.S. LORs, research experience/pubs/awards will give you a fair chance to get into General Surgery (more likely a preliminary spot, unless you've worked in a GS research lab for 2-3 years). Although Plastics is ultra-competitive, I know a handful of IMGs (UK, Ireland, Germany, Israel, Canada, Brazil, Colombia, New Zealand) who have matched into integrated programs.

Connections are key to get PRS interviews. Although, my scores weren't insanely high (236/225/passed), I had a competitive application (4 publications including a first authorship in The New England Journal of Medicine, 2 national awards, 1 fellowship/grant for $30,000, 2 book chapters, 6 months of USCE with very strong letters from 2 big names in Plastics, a "Green Card" obtained through my research accomplishments). PDs/Chairmen advised to ask my mentors to contact a few programs to let them know about my application.

I got 9 PRS invitations, 4 were "IMG friendly" (U. Chicago, Yale, U. Mass, Mount Sinai), 2 were small programs (UC-Davis, UVA), the rest were compelled by my story. I did fairly well during the interview trail, programs seemed to like my passion and enthusiasm about the field (I'm madly in love with peds for personal reasons).

Research worked for me, but it won't translate into success for everyone. I'd recommend double applying for obvious reasons (odds increase as more interviews you get). I ranked 16 programs, matched into U. Chicago, one of my top choices.

Last edited:
Hello this for Turundu or another person who can help :
I am IMG. I graduated in 2007 then I work for a year In Rural Medical Service. I enter the general surgery residency in 2008 and just finished now in 2011. My desire is to make the General Surgery residence in USA
This year I will dedicate to pass the steps; My questions are:
1-will influence negatively the fact that I graduated in 2007.
2-I have an advantage to have completed general surgery residency in my country or not

Thanks for your help:thumbup:

Hello this for Turundu or another person who can help :
I am IMG. I graduated in 2007 then I work for a year In Rural Medical Service. I enter the general surgery residency in 2008 and just finished now in 2011. My desire is to make the General Surgery residence in USA
This year I will dedicate to pass the steps; My questions are:
1-will influence negatively the fact that I graduated in 2007.
2-I have an advantage to have completed general surgery residency in my country or not

Thanks for your help:thumbup:

Ask this question in the GS forum, this topic has been addressed several times over the last year.

In a nutshell:

1-Perhaps, cut-off is usually 3-5 years. There are always exceptions, I graduated >5 years ago and matched.

2- Programs tend to choose newly-fresh grads, it's hard to say how "trained" you're if you've gone through a 3-years GS program.

Last edited:
I'm a US IMG and I just graduated (MBBS) and now I'll be doing my internship in a Cleveland Administrated hospital in the Emirates with an application on the way for the 2012 match - any advice on how to get into a PSR or what to expect would be immensely appreciated.

I too am doing mbbs and will eventually apply for prs. Do we need to do an intern year?