IMG and plastic surgery residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leilam364

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Is it possible for IMGs to enter plastic surgery residency programs in the USA?
Does anybody know about the minimum requirement?
thank you very much for assisting me.

Members don't see this ad.

I hate to sound disencouraging but I have looked into this very subject myself and I'm not that pleased with the facts - for the foreesable future plastic surgery is really difficult to get into for FMGs. This is especially true for the integrated route which is significantly shorter and highly popular with US grads. For this reason you will need at least 240 on the USMLE step 1 and a couple of very good references from physicians, preferably written by well known US based doctors; and research will not go amiss either. Remember that only 2% of places go to foreigners, many of whom might already be consultants in plastic surgery.

Considering how hard the intergrated approach is, you might have a better shot at applying first for a general surgery residency and then follow your surgical training up with a fellowship in plastics. This is a longer route and you will spend many hours learning operations that are completely unnecessary for a plastic surgeon. The vote is still out concerining which option produces the better plastic surgeon. Apparently, and dont quote me on this, forty percent of general surgeons who apply for a plastic fellowship are successful, and at this late stage of training the fact that you were originally a FMG is not important anymore, only that you prove yourself as a dedicated surgeon. However general surgery is getting more popular now unfortunately with US graduates, probably because of the 80hr working directive that was introduced very recently. So even this route is a problem these days for FMG. Having said that, I still maintain that your chances of getting into plastics are infinitely better with general surgery.

Well.......actually that is very difficult question I was trying to find answers to for long. Whoever, from surgeons I spoke, the answer was - it is very difficult even for AMG to get into Plastics. However, I have met 2 FMG Plastic surgery fellowship recent graduates this year in my hospital.
After talking with both of them, I am comming to conclusion, first you got to go into General surgery 5-year program, perform well then plastic surgery fellowship, +/- research. But most important thing, I guess, is who you know and who knows you. So dont underestimate connection.

GL