IMG applying to Canadian Medical schools - please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kairosa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe this forum to be the right place to post this thread. I have read the posting sticky and faqs and searched for a relevant post to my case throughout the forum to the best of my ability. If i'm mistaken, do accept my apology beforehand

To put it in a nutshell, i'm a 24 yr old IMG canadian resident planning to apply to a canadian medical school and become a canadian medical graduate. Yes. (As far as i know, i should not be denied the chance to apply to med school due to having a bachelor's degree in medicine and i sure hope that's true)

Now why am i posting this uncanny post?

two main reasons. Aside from seeking advice, the other being the adversity i'm facing in this decision and my reasons behind it. Traditionally, if i take the MCC exams i'm looking at close-to-none chances of having a career in the fields of my dreams (most are surgical and of course highly competitive) if i apply to CARMS as an IMG, and time-wise the expenditure between both tracks (medschool vs MCC exams) is an investment i'm willing to pay for a shot at a gratifying career.

The adversity springs from the only place i wouldn't even expect - my whole family (one of my parents is a doctor, one brother is a dentist) do not support my decision at all, regarding it as a waste of time and that i should write the MCC exams and stop wasting my time. They would support my wish to proceed however hold me responsible for my decision.
I'm being headstrong in this choice, however it's a choice i'm facing alone, and thus the uncertainty that brews inside me as my family not supporting me has really shocked me, and the need to turn to you, all respective peer, who can shed light and advice on this endeavor.

Secondly, why canada although residencies remain rather competitive for a surgical career even for canadian graduates? Well because canada is the place i would like to live and practice in, with lots of family and friends already there, i would ask for nothing more.
My stats in brief are as follows:

Regarding pre-requisites, i've taken Bio, chem, biochem, English and human rights during my years in uni (6-year MD program). What i'll be missing out on is organic chem and math/physics. (which i'm willing to take as a pre-med year if i am accepted to a uni that offers this option, not forgetting the fact that some unis do not require prereqs)
If High school courses are considered, i took A-Level IGCSE Math which, according to cambridge, is a university-level course, in addition to AS- Biology and AS-chemistry (which includes organic chemistry and lab, however AS counts a half university-level course). I have volunteer work, student research, valid Basic life support license and US clinical experience.

My logistics and plan:

BR was hard to get overseas and i'm short on time to wait for their prehistoric mail-order process, so i'm going to study TPR GC/OC/PHY and EKbio/VR/1001bio. My books are still en-route hopefully by the first week of june i'll have them at my disposal.
are there any more books i should have?
I'm planning to take the MCAT around september, but i could use guidance regarding the optimum time to take the exam, have the results ready and be able to apply this year.
so when should i take the exam? i'm still flexible regarding my exam date and plan. When should i buy online exams and practice? I've browsed frequently through the MCAT forums for days, but i would rather request and expert opinion regarding exam planning concerning my circumstances.

i'm an Ontario resident, and plan to apply to medical schools through omsas, in addition to applying to the rest of them hoping for a chance to be accepted following that.
I've read through the omsas handbook on the application procedures, however they still remain quite a hard read to digest. Has anyone done this before and/or is familiar with the steps regarding application as a foreign graduate? could you walk me through them?

Finally, as it's really hard for me to speak my mind in addition to trying to be as concise as possible, it would be even harder for others to spare the time and read a whole page a complete stranger has written. Even if you didn't/couldn't help me, allow me to thank you very much for hearing me out for it means a lot to me.

Sincerely,
Kay Kairosa
Yet another troubled and confused physician.

Members don't see this ad.