IMG applying USMLE exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, i am confused about the translation of the diploma, im worried if i'm not doing it correctly, the following is the setup of my translated diploma, please correct if im wrong :

1. The paper size is letter (216x279mm or 8,5 x 11 inches)
2. The translation is word by word, but the paper layout is in portrait , while the original diploma is in landscape
3. The translation is then Stamped with the school stamp and verified with a signature by an administrator at my school. (the dean only signs the real diploma). Is this ok ??

So the documents i will send to ECFMG are :
- 2 copies of original transcript -- letter size (8,5x11 inch) also ?
- 2 copies of translated original transcript
- 1 full face color passport photo -- ??
- 1 Form 344 (Medschool credentials)
- 2 Form 345 (Medschool release)
- Form 186
- Form 187

DID I MISS A THING ????? PLS HELP ME , because i will be going to the US and will be difficult to arrange the letters again.
And Is it ok if i send this package from the US, if form 186 signed by public notary ?
THANK YOU !

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It is ok, to send the package from US, and ok to get it signed by a notary public. I am not sure about the number of photos, check that out at ecfmg.org.

i finished up medical school in india and now am confused where to go from here. i have returned to the u.s. now. i went to ecfmg.com...but am so confused. its seems like a different language to me. i have brought my certificates from india...now what do i do? what forms do i need to get and in what order do i everything...can i get the forms online? first the forms or somethign before that? please help out... am just too lost.
thanks

i finished up medical school in india and now am confused where to go from here. i have returned to the u.s. now. i went to ecfmg.com...but am so confused. its seems like a different language to me. i have brought my certificates from india...now what do i do? what forms do i need to get and in what order do i everything...can i get the forms online? first the forms or somethign before that? please help out... am just too lost.
thanks

Are you talking about in order to take step 1?

I think the only thing you need from the Indian med school is for them to sign form 183. I have no idea why the OP listed all those documents.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you need to send your transcripts to ECFMG. The 345 forms are basically a request form that ECFMG forwards to your school to attain your transcripts directly from them.

Last edited:
Are you talking about in order to take step 1?

I think the only thing you need from the Indian med school is for them to sign form 183. I have no idea why the OP listed all those documents.

183 is only for the Step 2 CS. For Step 1 you need all the nonsense the OP listed (minus the transcripts, as I mentioned above). At least I hope so. I sent my packet to ECFMG a couple days ago and in it I included:

186 (notarized here in America)
344 + photo
345 x 2
2 copies of my degree

Keep in mind I have ADD and only briefly read over the instructions before mailing this stuff out.

Hello,
Please, can you tell us,
You send those documents before applying for exam? i finished med school, and planning to pass step1 soon.
because i believe, they should verify the credentials before allowing us to schedule exams.
Thanks in advance!